Original Chrysler trailer wheel bearings

Post All Trailering Topics Here
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Original Chrysler trailer wheel bearings

Post by Traveler »

Hi all,

I have an original trailer that came with the 22 in '86'. I was moving it in the yard and noticed one wheel wobbling so I checked the bearing. It had completely thrown up and was in little pieces around the spindle and hub.

So, without any info and no hope of taking anything of the old one to NAPA, I am wondering if anyone here has had to mess with the bearings on one of these trailers and if so where did you get the parts? Also, any idea what axle circumference etc. or any other parts needed? The only thing left inside in any shape at all is a 'thrust' washer. I guess they can use that for the axle size.

Anyone have any old manuals or specs on the trailers?

By the way, the last time this trailer had any real use it went from NJ to NC last summer. How lucky is that?

The 1986 22 is great. The trailer not so much.

Regards, Jeff
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Inner race of the bearing (wide side) has or had a number on it also use a brass punch and knock the outer race out of the hub on the wide side it has a number take both numbers to NAPA and they can get them possibly in a set. It is important to use a brass punch as you are going through the hub and going around the race to push it out and a steel punch will do 2 things you don't want it will mess up the number and when you get 1/2 way out it can hit the hub and you mess that up you will not get the new race in and going in you use brass or have it pressed.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

I think I got mine at Tractor supply where I used the old one as a reference (could not read the number). Just compared them with a caliper. Of course I did not think to write anything down.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Pull the other side off as described already and get 4 new bearings. The inner ones aren't the same size and be sure to take them with you wherever you go!
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Now THAT'S using the old noodle, Billy!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Thanks for the info guys. Obviously, the year is wrong as it is a '76' and not e an '86' trailer and boat. But the principles still apply. I had thought about pulling the other side and I guess that is the best thingI can do. I should probably replace everything all at once anyhow.

The shame is that I keep the boat at my dock and only need the trailer to pull the boat to fix the rudder line. Otherwise the trailer lives in it's spot next to my house. I still have no idea how it made it from NJ with the boat on board without spitting out the bearings and sitting on the side of the road with smoke curling off the spindle. Major league luck.

Jeff
IrvinG

Post by IrvinG »

Chrysler has just announced a huge recall of Dodge Ram trucks. The problem is due to a defect in the tie-rods which join the left-front wheel to the steering system. Nearly 243,000 trucks in the United States are included, and the recall affects all series of Ram pickups from 2008 on. I found this here: Chrysler announces Dodge Ram recall over faulty tie rods.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

There ain't a tie-rod one on my boat. :twisted:
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

First, before anythng else is done, get the blown up bearings AND races off the axle. I had a blow up like this on my O'day trailer and the inner race was siezed to the axle so bad it required replacement of the axle. So, pull both sides to get all the numbers and make sure you have clear spindle on the blown up side before you leave the driveway! It might save you some time.

-JK
Kstrick08

Re: Original Chrysler trailer wheel bearings

Post by Kstrick08 »

I have a 1975 Chrysler 22 sailboat. With its original trailer. I replace my wheel bearings today and they were 1 3/8 and 1 1/16 . It was a complete kit including the seal and cotter pin. I bought it from Wilson marine in Brighton Michigan.