wet toe

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papax3

wet toe

Post by Papax3 »

Hey!

Enjoying reading everybody's ideas, and projects... what a great community... I must say, this sight enhances my ownership by an enormous margin. I could be "just a guy with a boat" but I'm not. I'm sure that's why a lot of people become "just a guy with a boat.... in the back yard". Kudos to everyone here!!

My boat is still half spun, and half done, in many ways, but on a very slim budget, I'm tackling the heavy duty issues first, and the small ones bitty by bit.

Keel pins... oh, what a topic !!
I have never yet lowered my keel. Last topic I posted, some of you guys said my "going slow upwind" problems were related to me shoal keeling all over the place. I wooda-nevah-thunk-about-it. Thank you !!
It honestly never occurred to me. Now that it has... I'm very nervous about lowering the keel, without having checked it thoroughly. Last owner said "no problems", but it was clear it wasn't a new pin, and that was a year ago (out of water). Brackets show very light superficial rusting in some small spots (never in saltwater). I've looked in the keel pocket, and just can't see crap when I try to look at the pin. Inside the cabin, the galvanized cap is rusty, and that spot of course holds a little water. Haven't even tried the winch, but it looks servicable (no missing teeth in the gears). I'll give it a try this weekend...

toe rail leaks, and I will need to figure something out...
lots of water where the foam used to be in the seats.

Thanx!
Bill Williams
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Bill

No slight intended I'm sure... but I am just a guy with a boat... in the back yard! (LOL) :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

It's all good Bill! LOL!
I too am just some guy with a boat however I keep them in the FRONT YARD! LOL!

When you lower your keel, do not let it freewheel! Lower it slowly.

Enjoy your new windward performance!

8)

Scott
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

Bill I am not the guy with just a boat in the back yard I am the idiot with a half dozen boats in the back yard, a mad wife, and my neibors hate me, but I am having one hell of a time. Good luck this is the place to meet some very sharp guys who will be glad to help.
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Bill
You won't know if you need to fix something unless you test to see if its broke. Fresh water boats are usually in in better shape and really just need some WD-40 to loosen up the stiff joints. Too bad it's not that simple for us older sailers :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

I bought my boat a few months ago. It had not been in the water in 15 years. I spent about 2 solid days scrubing and cleaning, with the help of the folks on this site I raised the mast ,rigged the boat and launched it. The chrysler 10 hp didn't work but I didn't care, my boat was in the water. another sailor walked up and said "did you check the keel" I said "nope" then went inside and lowered it then raised it back up. "Guess it works" I said. Moral of the story? I don't know. I guess lower the keel. Wayne Gretzy once said "you miss 100% of the shots you never take". Of coarse my boat is in a slip 3 hours north of here in lake superior so I don't know if it's still afloat.
The earth is 75% water,can you sail?