gallons per hr

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
blu by you

gallons per hr

Post by blu by you »

i just aquired a 20 gallon marine tank i hope to fit it in where the 6 gallon tank was??? hoping. question : on a c22 with a 9.9 2 stroke what kind os fuel consumption can i expect ( dont think wifey will row i spoiled her)
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Personally, I would stay with the 6 gallon. I'm not sure the 20 gal will fit in the area for the tank and putting another 100lbs right at the stern will throw off your weight balance and make forward visibility (especially with the keel up) more difficult. Unless you are running at full throttle ALL the time you can expect 15-20 mpg. I put 2 gallons into my 6 gal fuel tank about every 2 weeks, and we go out often.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hmmm,

This is a good question. I use about 1 quart per hour, running at about 4 to 5 knots. Now for true distance measured by land the results will vary wildly. We have tides and currents which can be very bad or very good depending on the direction you are going.

Think of one of those moving sidewalks at the at the airport. When your going the right way, the direction the sidewalk is going, you go twice as fast as walking without it.

But get on that same sidewalk going the wrong way and your walking but your not going anywhere.

If I have a five knot current going the same way I'm motoring, and my motor gives me 5 knots more. I'm going 10 knots, woo hoo!

Ahhh but the other side of that coin. I'm now motoring at 5 knots with my motor against the tidal current, and it is 5 knots too. I am now standing still with my motor thrashing away nicely burning 1/4 gallon per hour.

So the moral to my story is I use 1/4 gallon per hour on my 9.9 hp 2 cycle Johnson motor. Now I use to use 1/2 a gallon per hour before I changed my prop from the original standard 10 pitch prop. I now use a 7 pitch prop and literally run my motor at about half the RPM's I use to run it at for the same forward speed/thrust. The reason I changed props was the old 10 pitch prop did next to nothing for me in reverse. I could beat the water into a real froth and not back up at all. It was like not having a prop at all. Now with the 7 pitch prop, I back up smooth and with power, nice!

The fuel savings was totally a an exciting surprise bonus. Plus the motor is quieter since I'm not running it as hard. Really a win, win, win situation for me.

Now for your 20 gallon tank. I like your thinking, I think that way myself.

Problem 1: It seems to me there are some Coast Guard regulations on boats under 22 foot or similar length, need to have a fan in there fuel compartment with tanks over 6 gallons, mandatory. And there was some other stuff for those bigger tanks too I don't remember. (Note, this is totally from very tired memory and should be verified!)

Problem 2: Fuel must be kept minty fresh on your boat. I don't like any fuel going to my motor older than say a vintage 3 months old or less. Old fuel equals motor issues I'm told. Keep it fresh or get towed home I always say. That is if the wind has died, then I'll sail home, thank you very much. :lol:

I use a 6 gallon tank and I can tuck in two additional 2 gallon plastic gas cans in my C-22's fuel compartment for my future extra long adventures. All told at 1/4 gallon per hour. I can run for 24 hours on my 6 gallons and another 16 hours on my reserves. My longest sailing day ever was maybe 14 hours and I used the motor for all of maybe 1.5 hours that day.

OR

Get an electric trolling motor, a couple big deep cycle batteries and some solar panels and only sail on sunny days :lol: Ahhh, I crack myself up some times. It rains here all the time it would never work for me. But if gas gets over say $8 a gallon, hello trolling motor and solar panels :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
blu by you

gallons per hour

Post by blu by you »

thanks again i may clean the 20 gallon tank out and use it for water. after i gain more ability i want to try some distance sailing 2 or 3 weeks. i plan to carry a small generator harbor freight has one 900 watt it will recharge batteries and run some tv john
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl