Outboard Question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

Outboard Question

Post by ronc98 »

What kind of charging capacity if any does an outboard provide. I have a johnson 9.9 sailmaster outboard for my C-26. Does anyone have any indea if these types of motors have a charging circuit and regultor?

I have done a few google searches but have not found much info.

R
foltz_d

johnson 9.9

Post by foltz_d »

We had a 1987 johnson 9.9 on our c-26 before we bought a yamaha 15. The johnson didn't have a charging system on it. You really need a manual for the year you have.
Windward

Really do need the manual

Post by Windward »

I'm pretty sure the Sailmasters did provide charging, but that the rating varied across models and over the years. Somewhere 6 - 10 amps is probable -- I'd bet closer to 6 -- but the manual, a cagey internet search or a quick call to a competent dealer should give the actual value.

You could also hook up an ammeter, if you were both curious and empirical. That way you could check actual output at various throttle settings and not just rely on a factory spec.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

thanks for the input. I did another search after I posted and found that my version of motor with electric start does have a charge circuit so that answers my first question.

I will meter it out when I rebuild it this winter and get a current output. It would be great if it put our 10 amps but I doubt it is that high. I have my fingers crossed!

R
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

My 79 Sailor280 has a simple charging cicuit, basically a magneto type coil that supplies an AC pulse to a simple diode rectifier that converts it to 12-13 volts DC. I think it is around 6 amps, not sure, but I'll look it up tonight.

Actually I just got a new rectifer, along with an impellor and drive shaft seal from Franz at Franz Marine. He's an absolute treasure of information on Chrysler outboards, and might can answer your Sailmaster question - he email is
franzmarine@aol.com

We have achieved bottom paint, and have a truck borrowed for the weekend of the 26th to relaunch
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I have a Mercury 9.9 prokicker. The charging system has alternator that produces 76 watts and 6 amps. and I just added from West marine a solor pannel for trickle charge.

Bob
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Franz came through. He did not know but he knew someone who knew. 6 amps it is. Not much for charging but it is better then nothing.

Thanks everyone.