Toy Chrysler Sailboat

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jbbkamp

Toy Chrysler Sailboat

Post by jbbkamp »

Actually no resemblance to a Chrysler sailboat, however, I am making a toy sailboat with my 6yr old. Started this project, just cutting the board in the shape of a sailboat, when I was 12. Finally going to finish it up.

Nothing super fancy just making it out of a 2x6. I just put 5 coats of paint on it. Next is the mast and sail. I've got part of a dacron sail from an old sailboat that should work just fine. I'll put life lines around it of some sort and use cotter pins to hold the sail position. I'll have to figure out something to use for the keel and rudder yet, I'll figure that one out on my next Menards trip.

I know this isn't a toy boat forum, just thought I'd see if there was someone out there that might have ideas as to how to find the optimum mast location. I'll be using a wood dowel for the mast, not sure on height or sail area yet. It will be a sloop design. The boat is 1 3/4"H x 5 1/2"W x 22"L.

Here's the starts:
Brian
1978 Chrysler C-20
Des Moines, IA
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Perhaps.

If it were me, I'd measure the length and beam of the boat then find something close in dimensions. Find out where that boat's mast is located and I think you'd be close enough for government work.

ETA: Of course, that is a very simplistic approach. the reality probably involves some consideration of displacement (including the keel), center of gravity, center of effort, and other intangibles that I'm not conversant in.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

For a sloop rig,
I'd also go simple.

Set the boat in water. Take the mast or dowl or whatever you are using and press down on the deck with the boat free floating. Try and center the mast on the point where the hull pushes evenly for and aft into the water.

Gross example: put the mast 1 inch from the bow and push down. You will clearly see you are no where near center of buoyancy. Now put it 1 inch from the stern. See the same thing! Now work towards the center until you find a reasonable center of buoyancy. Call it good!

Do not forget that when you add a keel and rudder the center of bouyance will change a little! Just sayin' . . . . . maybe add the keel first?
1/4 inch - 1/8th inch sheet metal cut pretty and coated works great!

Lastly for sail adjustment, you might want to consider some of the super simple and super cheap shroud/stay adjusters on a Kyosho Fairwinds RC sailboat! I can not find a good photo but if you open the link below you will see in the first photo of section E an aft adjuster part way up the aft stay. It just slides up and down to adjust! EASY!

http://fairwind900.home.comcast.net/~fa ... Racing.pdf

FYI, I'm into RC sailing also. I've been know to sail into a hardbor, drop anchor, and procede to get out one of my RC sailboats! LOL!

Here a couple of old photos! The white one has since received radio controlled nav lights, scaleish dinghy to tow and an outboard on the stern rail for the dinghy! Yikes! I am a geek! Sheesh, I even make my own sails! Oh man, I am sick . . . . . . .

Lady Di

Destiny including all flags on starboard shroud! LOL!
Scott
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Whoa!! THAT looks like nothin' but fun!! Holy shootin'! I can see the basement/garage manufacturing plant gearing up now!!!

OK, reality sets in a bit. I'm gonna have to get my cashflow running a little more favorably, but that sure looks like a good time!

Thanks for sharing, Guys. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that! Keep us posted on your progress, Brian. And if you have more info, Scott, love to see it too!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Read out loud, as fast as you can :shock:
Toy boat, Toy boat, Toy boat :lol:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
troyengel

Post by troyengel »

I made one out of a 2x4 when I was a kid, it worked out pretty good, I used a peice of aluminum sheet as a keel, I made a mold out of wood. and melted lead into it as a balist wait to hold it upright. Used a dowl as a mast. I just put it where it looked right. and used a cut up sheet for a sail. I used fishing tackle as hardware.

Put it into a pond and let it sail back & forth. :-) I with I could remember what I did with it.

Good Luck.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Scott has simplified both my degrees into a couple of sentences. :shock:
And , as usual, he could not be more right. Get a keel on it first. The test that Scott is desribing is the perfect way to make a cutter. The tricke part comes when you want to run that fine line of stability and performance. If it will have a fin keel the easy rule of thumb is to center the keel on the boat both ways, then align the leading edge of the mast with leading edge of the keel. This will give you roughly a masthead sloop. If your doing a full keel or hybrid then just put the keel on then use Scotts method. So I said all that to say... Do it like Scott said :)
Nice job Capt. Scott. The simplest ideas are usually the best.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
jbbkamp

Post by jbbkamp »

Ok, first of all it's impossible to make it past 4 saying "toy boat" fast. The whole family has tried. That has to be one of the best tongue twisters ever.

Great info on the little boat from everyone. The RC sailing looks awesome Scott.

So we'll start with the keel it looks like. My son is eager to get the mast on but he'll just have to wait.

We have a city park that has a nice pond at the end of our block. I'm hoping to be able to go down to the pond with the kids and chase it around with the kayak....in about 6 months!!!
Brian
1978 Chrysler C-20
Des Moines, IA