pulled out old sails that came with project.

Post your sail topics here

pulled out old sails that came with project.

Post by Guest »

Well I decided to pull out the old sails that came with my C26 project and at first glance they don't look to bad, but what do I know? If the jib sheets were not still on the jib it may have taken me a while to tell them apart. In the first photo jib is to the left and main to the right. There is a good chance they are the original sails, both were made by Vector sails which I believe is no longer around. The old C26 insignia and the 869 sail number still look to have a little life left to them. In the last photo the foot of the main looks to have no attachment points for the boom... was there such a thing as a loose footed main back in the day of Chrysler production?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26" 1980
Pandora (for now)
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Bolt rope fits in the slot in the top of the boom.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Banshi is 100% correct and on my original which was a Doyle sail so probably not original the bolt rope shrunk on the foot and the luff and it made the sail fit in the boom extremely tight so I altered it to make loose footed and when I got the newer sails it was set up already and I can change from loose footed and take it off boom and slide the bolt rope in and it sails fine both ways I prefer loose footed.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Terrence

sails (bolt rope)

Post by Terrence »

Thanks for the insight... I've been on this forum for a good while and I think this is the first time I've heard the term Bolt rope. I'll clean the old sails up and use them for a season or two of learning before buying a new pair.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26" 1980
Pandora (for now)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Terrence Looking at your picture of the main do I see a slug (like goes into the mast) at the clew if so you can mahe it loose footed or you can put the bolt rope into the boom.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/