NEW SAILS AGAIN and a review of FXSAILS.com I won't go back.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

NEW SAILS AGAIN and a review of FXSAILS.com I won't go back.

Post by CaptainScott »

If you are considering new sails read along, if not . . . . . .you must be bored if you are reading still . . . ..

As many of you know I bought a set of brand new sails for Lady Jo I.
These sails were purchased from FXSAILS. In short, the sails, or the product itself were great! Good quality basic cruising sails. Standard loose footed main plus two reefs and a 110 jib. Nothing special. While I really liked the sails, FXSAILS delivery of the product was horrible. Took more than 2.5 times the promised delivery date for me to get the sails. They made promises, and failed to keep them several times. However, in the end, the sails were nice and they tried to make good.

So . . . Lady Jo II needed sails. So this time I went with FXSAILS again. I called and explained my delivery concerns. They PROMISED there was no way they'd be late. It is slow this time of the year, orders are low, etc etc. I again explained my previous order and my very bad experience. Yet again promises of no worries! 4 weeks MAX. Worse case 6 weeks.

After 6 weeks and no delivery, I called. No answer. So I left a message. Next day I received an email message promissing a tracking number in email. ( notice they did not call back ) It never arrived. After several days, I called again. This time I was told there was no way my sails were late. Other orders had shipped other folks were happy, why was I upset. Well, I don't have my sails. I was actually asked do I even know when I ordered them? Yikes. Here we go again. When I asked the status I was told hey, you got an email LAST Wednesday! Well, that was the email promising a shipping number. To me a promise of a shipping number implies the sails are ready to ship. Well, the next day I received notice my main was main and the jib will finish tomorrow. Then I'd get the shipping number. Two days later I received the shipping number.

OK, All above is things as I see it. I may be off a day or so here or there but I can say I ordered my sails 10/14/2011 Sails arrived 12/20/2011

Now, My math counts almost 10 weeks for delivery. or . . . 2.5 times the promised delivery date. Again.

My editorial based on my opinion:
Hmm, I see a pattern. This company acts as though they are doing me a FAVOR by delivery my sails!! Never once did they contact me first and indicate they are "running behind" Never once did they let me know my order was delayed. In fact, they seemed a tad upset at me that I should dare call and ask where are my sails!! In fact, my gut tells me the sails were not made until AFTER I called AFTER the promised delivery date and complained I had not received them.

Now granted, I ordered my sails in late fall in hopes of getting them delivered on time. I understand the last set were ordered in the spring and maybe they were running late. However where I grew up if you make a promise to deliver you have no choice but to deliver. If you select a delivery date, you meet the delivery date no matter what.

This company was forwarned of my concerns yet they failed to deliver on time. Not even close to ontime. NO calls indicating a delay. No emails, nothing. I feel like had I not called and complained I still would not have my sails. Lastly I must note, they take your money from your credit card immediately. No delays there!

A final note: the reason I gave them a second try is because Destiny, our 40'er, needs new sails and I have heard these guys deliver sails for Beneteau's. Given these guys can not deliver as promised, they will not get my order for a furling main and jib for Destiny.

If you need sails, these guys make nice sails. If you need sails and expect them to actually deliver when they promise
I WOULD NOT USE FXSAILS.

I have been as true to the facts as I possibly can in describing both orders and indicated where I deviated from facts and used my opinion.

Fortunately here in the Northwest we have many sail lofts. One of the local lofts will get my order for Destiny.

Scott
mikepaddle

Methinks...

Post by mikepaddle »

That they might be outsourcing to China.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Well said Scott. I'm usually willing to give a second chance. But not a third one.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

For sure the sail lofts can p!&& you off. I had ths same problem with Sailrite out of Colorado, They promissed me the moon then did not deliver. Those guys strung me out for six months. I ended up canceling my order. After talking to the owner and being promised once again a full refund I ended up having to go to the credit card co. to retreive the funds. :x They outsource the sails over seas and must have little to no control over the production schedule, but they won't admitt that to you.

I noticed they were at the time running some of their storm jibs on ebay, then took all of them down due to not being able to deliver and getting negative feed back.

As a side note, I think I have to agree with you on the general attitude of the sail lofts. They act as if they are doing you a favor by just speaking to you and seem not to care about anything you have to say.
There you went and got me started. Glad to hear you did get the sails, I just sold my 22 with the old main.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

As Yougy Baira (sp) once said "DeJavu all over again."

The current state of customer service. Well this was an expensive future business error on there part. Put foot in the cross hairs, pull trigger, Job done!

Sorry you got BOGU'ed again. I hope the Quality is as good as the last set you had on Lady Jo I.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

You should if told them that you are the Grand Auxlted Leader of the Chrysler Sailer Forum, and you will trash their name in the internet :evil:

Buy...MADE IN THE U.S.A. 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I agree with you Scott we had a similar discussion when you were getting sails for Lady Jo and I had gotten a price from them and they priced themselves out of the picture.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

As mentioned above, it sounds like FX outsourced the sails and had no control over delivery. The only way you can assure locally crafted sails is to walk into a loft strike a deal and shake the owners hand. Then if you want truely made in USA you have to be sure of the origin of the material they will use

I bought a fully battened main for our Venture North from Porpoise Sails in Fla. Wayne told me up front it was an imported sail. He quoted me 2 weeks. In 2 weeks I had my sail. the material was top quality as well as the craftsmenship. I was very satisfied and will use them again.

Clair
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Outsourcing and no control is simply an excuse. They have 100% control over where and how their sails are made.

I do not accept it as an excuse at all.

However, these sails were made here in the USA.

If you CHOOOOOOOOOSE to outsource it is YOUR resposability to get MY needs handled properly. NOT MINE.

Yeah, I work for AT&T where outsourcing is all over the place and IT SUCKS.

Sorry for my rant but outsourcing is not an excuse. Get the job done right or get out of the business. Period.

I will not use FXSAILS for Destiny where it really matters to me.
Period.

Scott

PS, sorry if it offends you but if I hire you to do a job, how you do it is your business. As long as you satisfy your promises, I could care less if Bubba in Texas or some other source does the work. However if you fail to fullfill your promises, it is YOUR problem. No excuses.
N41EF

Sailwharehouse?

Post by N41EF »

Anyone deal with The Sail Warehouse www.thesailwarehouse.com ?

Santa is shopping them for a main sail for me.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Windward

Post by Windward »

Scott, I'm really, really sorry to hear you've had another problem with FXSails. I think you were quite generous in giving them a second shot after your first experience, and obviously you've been bitten twice. Their loss, on several levels, for blowing that second chance to shine.

Back in my jeeping days I used to get parts from an outfit called Rusty's Offroad. I genuinely liked the guy that ran it, but timely delivery was not his strong suit, and I once was told that I "should already have that" only to learn later that the item(s) had not yet shipped. That got old really quickly.

Perhaps I've been extraordinarily lucky. I've purchased 6 sails from FXSails, and from a previous incarnation, since 2003 and apart from once being shipped a stock asymmetric spinnaker in the wrong size (quickly resolved) I have not had problems -- in fact last year they beat their delivery estimate, getting me my new 130 on an absurdly short schedule in time for my fall OBX cruise. At least eight other boats on our dock also use FX Sails, although I think one of them subsequently decided to use another loft for his new boat because he felt that FX wasn't responsive enough.

I've been on something of a fiscal responsibility kick lately, so while I'd still like a fresh working jib and a storm jib I won't be purchasing any new sails for a while. In Northeast TN the local lofts are for hay, not sails, and thus that is not an option. Based on my prior experience -- again, very different from yours -- I will likely work with FX again when that time comes, but will definitely monitor the delivery closely.

I'll be interested to know which loft you select to supply Destiny's sails. Here's hoping that experience is nothing but positive.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

It is good to know they have the ability to deliver as promised.
It is sad they will not get my next order. I like the product to date with no issues.

I'm glad you had great service. I just wish it was consistant. Now I have to shop yet again for another loft. Buying boats that need sails is getting pricey ! LOL!

Scott
Windward

Post by Windward »

I feel bad for the experience you had with them. It's a good thing that you shared it. Having to shop for a new loft for Destiny's sails really sucks. Much more comforting to do that with a relatively inexpensive set of sails. Really hope you find one with quality product AND reliable delivery this time! At least where you are there should be some local options?
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Scott I have a link for you and they are in Monterey Ca. I have never dealt with them but have heard good things about them
http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/web ... l&cart_id=
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/