Should I put an outboard well in my C20

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
nunya48

Should I put an outboard well in my C20

Post by nunya48 »

Hi guys, looking for advice on whether or not I should consider moving the rudder of my C20 outboard and building an outboard well where the rudder used to be as I'm concerned/don't like the interference between the rudder and the outboard where its currently mounted on the bracket. Do you think moving the rudder would negatively affect performance? Thanks.
Adam
1976 C-20
Milwaukee,WI
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

A La the Cal 20's have ? Pic here

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scal20101.html
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Adam, sounds like quite an undertaking....by the way....I am in Kenosha...Howdy Neighbor!!!
Bill
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I would say, what do you like best motor boats or sail boats. I like sail boats, you have the best 20 foot sailboat there is, more fun than my 26.
nunya48

Post by nunya48 »

I'm thinking its probably a bad idea, but i don't like the interference with the engine and rudder. Probably what I should do is just move the engine bracket to one side and or get a prop guard. I've got the boat pretty much stripped of all deck fittings and will gut interior in the spring hopefully. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to make the rudder tube/thruhull stronger?
Adam
1976 C-20
Milwaukee,WI
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Hi Adam, my engine bracket is on the port side. My C-20 came with a Honda 5 hp 4 stork, with an extra long shaft. A extra long shaft is a must have for the C-20. The rudder/thruhull on the C-20 an the C26 are the same. So I do not see the need to make it any stronger. I once found myself out in a storm, 4 to 6 foot waves an 30 to 40 mph winds all by my self an no gas to run the engine. It was one of the best times of my life. You have a vary good boat. Only thing to make it better would be to add Roller-Furling
nunya48

Post by nunya48 »

I have a yamaha 6hp stroke 20inch shaft. Do you think that will work? What kind of roller furler do you use? I was looking at a cdi ff1?
Adam
1976 C-20
Milwaukee,WI
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello Adam,

I have had both the C20 and C22 boats and can testify to there sailing ability. They are both great boats. The C20 is more closely related to the C26 than the C22 in hull and swing keel design.

Like you, I wasn't crazy about the rudder to outboard interference. At the same time I learned to appericate the center line mounting of the outboard for such things as being able to motor sail on either tack and not worring about having the motor come out of the water, if it were to be on the high side of a tack, and not having the weight of the motor on one side cause the boat to list. So for this reason I say leave the motor where it is. In the end the only time you really need to raise the rudder is just before you pull the boat out of the water, on the trailer, and if you want to beach, even then you will most likely have the rudder and motor up for the final aproach

One thing I did to help out the interference problem was to move the up-stop for the rudder about an inch and a half aft, very easy, and still allows the rudder to rise to about the same level as the keel in the full up position. If you decide to go the same route make sure the dimentions work for your boat as I'm nearly postive no two boats are the same.

As for your 6hp, It should get you buy for a while. I used a 5hp with a 20" foot on my boat and it worked ok. It moved the boat very nicely but, as the previous post pointed out, while the boat hobby horse's the shorter shaft will cavitate some. You could move the mount lower (some of them have multipal mounting holes) but, you run the risk of putting the powerhead under water in extream conditions, so watch out for getting too low. Also, remember as the boat speed rises under power the transom of the boat will settle into the water some, putting the powerhead closer to the waterline. I guess what I'm saying is the extra longshaft would be better. I went to an extra longshaft on my C22 and never regretted it.

It's too bad we live so far apart, because I still have a really sweet Merc. 7.5 extra long shaft I had on my C22 that I'd put on you right.

Keep in mind that if you are like anything close to the rest of us your current boat is but a stepping stone on your way to "bigger and better" , however you define it so, I'd keep the major mods that require a sawsall and gallons of resin to a minimum. Hate to be so long winded but, that's my two cents worth. Good luck with the new boat.
Last edited by Jmckamey on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

On my 26 if the rudder is down all the way there is no interference at all and if you are sailing and the rudder is not all the way down the rudder will require alot of effort with the boats tendency to round up into the wind. I keep mine all the way down and have no problem and if I get into shallower water I bring up the rudder and the only time you have interference is when it is all the way up.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

The C-20 does not rock much side to side. But it does rock a lot front to back. That is why I say an extra long shaft is a must have for a C-20. An I do not have any rudder problm.