C26 Trailer Design

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
askme233

C26 Trailer Design

Post by askme233 »

We picked up that C26 off e-bay and during the 2 hour drive managed to find a suitable trailer on craigslist and picked it up enroute (gotta love technology)

There may be a long post coming with all of our trials and travails, but in the end we now have the boat sitting on the trailer back home.

The trailer is a dual axle affair that looks like it was used for a sailboat, but is obviously not up to snuff for the C26 (which is mostly just lashed to it at the moment).

I have read through many of the posts on trailer design and gone through EE's stuff as well, but still have a few basic questions:

Where is the (horizontal) center of gravity for the c26? looks to be about between the windows. Where should the boat be vv the axles to get the right tongue weight?

What tires do you have on your trailers? We went through 3 tires bringing it back (some not surprisingly, one was brand new @40mph) and I suspect we need to upgrade all around.

all help appreciated, pics to come and happy to answer any questions about the e-bay pics.
Gus

Post by Gus »

All I know about trailer tires its don't use car tires! Good luck in the restoration!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I replaced the tires on my trailer in July 2007 when we Bought out C-26 with the same size that were on the trailer 700-15 LT load range D
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

HEY Gus, watch it! I used car tires and made it home with EE! :wink: I won't try it again, tho ! I'm getting C's on new rims from a local trailer dealer for the move back to the water.

I pretty much found that if you drop a plumb line from the bow eye, and measure 14' back you'll get to the approx fore/aft cg. And that is right about where you are thinking it is. Since you've seen the EE stuff, I guessing you seen the diagram of boat measurements for bunking etc.

When we loaded her the first time we found our best tongue weight with the keel pocket centered over the axles - that is there is as much keel pocket in front of the fore axle as there is behind the rear one. Distance from bow chock forward to the tongue was 4'. Of course, your overall trailer measurements are probably different that mine so that may not help much.

Anyway, welcome aboard ! And good luck with your new C26, let us know what we can do to help.

Beau
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

I'm unsure of my tire specs, but I just finished towing Windwalker 2700 miles from North Carolina to Spokane Washington. I had planned ahead and bought two new tires/wheels which, of course, I didn't need. Tandem axle trailer with brakes. I can send photos and specs on the trailer if needed.
askme233

Post by askme233 »

Beau,

Thanks for the Measurements (and WindWalker, would love to just know your sepcs if handy, pics are noce to, but don't go out of your way).

We just have two boards for bunks now that we will extend and adjust.

The biggest problems we have are the Keel sitting on the trailer ribs (saw the idea of two boards with a gap for the Keel!) and the weigth distribution:

The boat is not far enough forward and when unhooked from the truck the whole thing sits back and the tongue is 5 feet in the air. When we hook up the tongue, all of the weight rocks onto the front tires/axles (which also happen to be old) and only two tires take all of the load.

Then there is the problem that the current bunks aren't high enough to hold the boat verticle so the whole boat rolls to one side and then the other as you go arond corners. very unnerving.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If the bunks don't come up enough you can always add another bunk board on top of the existing ones to make up the difference for now.

Right now EE is too far back on her trailer, I goofed and set her down too far back coming down from the cradle. If I climb up the stern ladder she starts pulling a wheelie !

I temporarily strapped a half dozen concrete blocks to the trailer under the bow chocks area,and put my homemade wood jackstands under the hull behind the keel pocket . Or you could just place a few blocks under the trailer back end so it can't rare up.

All of which means I have to jack her up a foot again to move the trailer back some more. Oh, Joy...
askme233

Post by askme233 »

Or you could also take her out on the highway, get up a head of speed and jam on the brakes.

Just a thought. but perhaps a bad one.