Wish me luck!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ststphen

Wish me luck!

Post by ststphen »

Taking " Sea-Bring" out for the first time tomorrow. Going out of Regent Point on the Rappahannock River. Expected winds, 15-25 mph. It should be fun! I'll let you guys know how it goes. I also need to post pics of work done over the winter.
Dustin
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Fair winds !
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

EmergencyExit wrote:Fair winds !
...... and following seas!!!

Yes, yes and don't forget the pics... please! :wink:
Last edited by cs3079 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
ststphen

Post by ststphen »

Thanks EE
Dustin
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good luck!

Scott
ststphen

Post by ststphen »

And Bruce. The pics will be added asap
Dustin
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

have a great sail...not too many boats in the water here as of yet...you lucky dog ,you!!!
Bill
John K

Post by John K »

Hope it's a good one. This Louisiana boy has been on the Rappahannock and Rapidan Rivers (my brother lives in Spotsylvania).
1977 C22: Dog House
ststphen

Post by ststphen »

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back guys. My trip, as I expected, had a few " first time mishaps." Trip started out fine, I was happy to see the motor operate normally. Wind picked up to 25-30knots so I decided not to raise the sails. Just wanted to motor around to check for leaks and operation of rudder and keel. Decided to stop at a waterfront restaurant for lunch. Motor under the bridge and hang a right toward the restaurant. Beach the boat but then I decide it would be better to tie up to a nearby dock. As I am operating the motor, my mate is on the tiller. I hear a very concerned, "We can't steer!" I soon realize that when I beached the boat, I kicked the rudder up. I pull up on the line to fold the rudder down not knowing that I had pulled the wrong one. Still no steering. In an act of desperation, I force the motor in reverse only to shut the motor down. There's only one thing left to do, brace yourself! Yes, gentlemen, I have successfully managed to MOTOR my sailboat into a bridge! The mast hit and broke the forestay, which came right back into the cockpit. A broken forestay and a bent sternrail seem like a small price to pay for such shameful lack of seamanship. BTW does anyone know the length of the forestay when ordering?
Dustin
John K

Post by John K »

Sorry for your troubles, I had rudder line problems my first time out as well. I haven't measured it myself, but the manual says 27' 7" for the forestay and 30' 1 1/2" for the tall rig. Good luck!
1977 C22: Dog House
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Yikes! Dustin, I'm glad everyone's OK. That sounds like a maneuver I could pull off. I've actually thought about that rudder line thing. Right now I have a knot on the 'up' line ( :? or is it the down line :? ) In a panic, something more readily seen would be better for me. Red and green colored ropes to id on the quick. Of course I've had this idea right from my first sail on the C20 and haven't done anything about it yet. I think I will now.
Last edited by cs3079 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Ouch the mast came crashing down, an a broken forestay. On your first time out. No one heart I hope, I would say that things can only get better now. ?? You have a C-22, why not steer with the outboard when under power. On my down rudder line I have black tape on it, so I know up from down. Any Time I Can Take The Boat Out An Get Back In. I HAD A GOOD DAY
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Dustin!

Dang that sounds like an epic! At least you didn't raise sail in those winds for who knows what kinda excitement. Glad nobody hurt with the mast coming down also.

All things considered, good day eh! Oh and, nodody in the restaraunt saw any of that right? :wink:
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

ststphen wrote: Decided to stop at a waterfront restaurant for lunch. Motor under the bridge and hang a right toward the restaurant. Beach the boat but then I decide it would be better to tie up to a nearby dock. As I am operating the motor, my mate is on the tiller. I hear a very concerned, "We can't steer!"
Dang! It's those spur of the moment change in plans, that's what landed me on a rocky shore at Hubbard Lake! A reason the 'big boys' stick to an itinerary, just ask Cap'n Francesco Schettino
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW! What a day!
Glad no one was hurt!

Scott