Got to admit, I'm cheating...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Guillaume C.

Got to admit, I'm cheating...

Post by Guillaume C. »

I was supose to keep you updated on the progress done on my chrysler but you can see I did not.

Got to admit, since a month I've got a new toy...have to assemble it tough!
Image[/img]

Once finished it should look like this

It was made for the 1976 Ostar transatlantic race, it got twice the sail area of the chrysler for less than half the weight!
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Look's good, let the fun begin, an keep us posted.
rjbranch

Post by rjbranch »

Is this a Newick or a Greene? ID please!

bob branch
former Newick owner
C-22
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

rjbranch

Post by rjbranch »

I had a 23 ft Newick design. Topped it out at just over 28 knots. Only problem was I live on a river that is about a quarter mile wide. The apparent wind on tris comes forward so fast you are always sailing upwind. That's fine cause I would rather sail upwind than any other direction. But the shoreline kept coming up too fast. 20 seconds, tack .... 30 seconds, tack... 20 seconds tack....... it was so much work I finally just gave it up and sold it to a man in Canada who had had one years before and followed the restoration I had done. Oh, also had a square topped main. Aweful things. Don't let them talk you into one! The battens that hold them out have to be put in and taken out to every time to lower the sail. A nightmare if you are cruising. The multihull sailmakers really talk them up. But in reality you build apparent wind so very rapidly that you are always sailing in much more wind that you have blowing. I used to use the current on the river (about 3 knots) in absolute zero wind conditions to provide enough apparent wind to get the boat to about 5 knots and could then do a river wide turn to go upstream and carry the apparent wind and boat speed with me and sail back upstream! And this was in absolutley zero wind.

Anyway, I did not find the always tacking bit as relaxing sailing so I bought the Chrysler 22 and found the relaxed sailing of my youth. And as you know its a very nice sailor to boot. Good luck with the tri. They are a hoot to sail.

bob branch
c-22, Moby Turtle
formerly Newick 23, Herd o Turtles