Headsail storage

Post your inside the boat topics here
John K

Headsail storage

Post by John K »

I debated where I would post this, but ultimately decided it belonged in this sub-forum, because in the end, it's about aesthetics and convenience. So I like to keep three headsails aboard, and they obviously take up a lot of space. So far, they've been crammed into sail bags and sitting on the v-berth, not a pretty sight. I was just wondering, do any of you have any clever storage techniques for yours? Roller furling is not in the near future for me.
Last edited by John K on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 C22: Dog House
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

A question for the ages! The v-berth has long been the land spot for sails due to its lack of use while under way and the ability to grab at them through the fore hatch.

There are many cool storage solutions that I'm sure our sailors will bring up below. My particular favorite is a good cheap hammock or two.
usually above the v-birth following the "v" shape of the gunwhales. Seems to work well, be out of the way and if someone is napping below them, although rather ominous to see above, its fairly harmless.
Unless, of course, you get a batton to the head. :shock:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
John K

Post by John K »

Hmmmm... hammock.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

similar to this: http://www.iboats.com/Seachoice-Gear-Ha ... ew_id.4735
My father used to flake them diffently and forgo the sailbag.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I agree, the vbirth becomes a storage area.
I'm thinking of moving the galley out of storage (under the starboard cockpit locker) and keeping it set up in the main salon. Then I can use the starboard locker for storage of sails, PFD's, hatch boards, wisker pole, and other items that should be easily available on deck.
The draw back to this plan is that i'm moving more weight to the stern, which is already a little overweight with the OB, fuel and skipper :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
John K

Post by John K »

* I just realized that I named the thread mainsail storage, fixed it, sorry for the confusion*

Yeah, I have been considering how to make better use of the aft area as well. I have spent so much time making the cabin look nice and sparkly. To pile up a bunch of crap in there after all of my efforts just irks me a little.
John K

Post by John K »

I'm giving the hammock a look. I was also wondering about installing a hook to hang the sail bags from.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Before I got my furler I used a waterproof sail bag and put it in the bag and hung it from life lines ar as I call them fool you lines.it got them out of the v berth and halyards and tack were hooked so when I went out I removed the bag and ran sheets and hoist.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/