Bummer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bummer

Post by Paul »

Memorial day sail with a sailing club I will join. Middle of the lake the rudder became unresponsive. Dropped sails and motored back - tiller head cracked. Looks like I overtightened the pinch nut making a fulcrum point at the 90 degree location. Now, where to find a block of 2 X 2 X 4" aluminum to fabricate another....

Other than that it was a great sail!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Paul,

I cracked mine last year and took it in to a welding shop and had it repaiired. So far so good.

If you fab a new, and improved version, I would be interested in getting one also if for a C-22. I could keep the repaired one as a spare...

Billy
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!

Hope you do find a fix! Well, a reasonably priced fix anyway!

Scott
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

An online search shows a 2 X 2 X 4" piece of aluminum would only run around $20. Not bad. I can fabricate everything from there except I have nothing to bore the 1 1/2" hole for the rudder shaft.

For the novelty of it I've thought of making one out of rock maple with a through bolt rather than the keyway system used on the original. Either way I hope to knock this out quickly and get back to the water!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bummer - cracked rudder head

Post by Paul »

Got enough 2" square aluminum to make 4 rudder heads for $27. Began drilling pilot holes for the 1 1/2" post holes this evening. Asked the guy at the aluminum shop what they used to lubricate their saws when they cut aluminum - deisel fuel! Turns out I can bore the hole with a simple hole saw and drill press. Let aluminum chips fly!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

thanks Paul, good to know info.
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Paul:

Take some pictures and document the process. I would be interested in case I have to make one some time in the future.

thanks

brian
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie