keel access question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
njerrell

keel access question

Post by njerrell »

With my boat on a trailer now,im curious if i can access the shackle to put a new cable on the keel from inside the boat,when we pulled her out,the cable was broken so the keel is now just resting on the trailer bottom but is in the pocket so i cant get to the shackle,this will cause a problem when i relaunch her if i dont fix the cable,any advice would be appreciated,and thanks for all the comments and advice when she was down!! Nathan
Gus

Post by Gus »

do you have a c-22? you can try to jack the boat up a bit to expose the shackle in the keel with the wire, it "shouldn't" be too difficult.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

E E has posted all there is to know about fixing your cabal. On your 26 footer, Good lock with your clean up
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

On the C26 you really can't get to the shackle without either lowering the keel or cutting a hole in something.

When raised the shackle lands just a few inches under the point where the cable goes thru the sole. Which means you'd have to cut a several inch hole beside that point to get to it.

And the shackle is too high in the pocket for there to be an access port cut thru the pockets side wall.

To lower the keel enough to get to the shackle requires about 32" of clearance from the keel pocket bottom to the ground.

If you are about 15 inches off the ground already when on the trailer, you'd only need to raise the boat another 15 or so inches, then move the trailer out to do it.
askme233

Post by askme233 »

I would suggest it might be easier to float her and go swimming. fixing the keel line in the water is pretty straightforward.

If you are worried about the keel dragging when re-launching, you can use strapping around the whole boat to hold it up until you are ready to drop the keel and fix it.

ASK