Motor hits rudder

Post All Outboard Topics Here
timlabute

Motor hits rudder

Post by timlabute »

Hey all! Quick question. Just bought the boat and hauled it out for the winter.

Once out I noticed some chunks missing from out of the back side of the rudder. When the rudder is in the upright position, it contacts the prop on the outboard.

Two easy solutions - dont motor with the rudder up = not an option in Lake St Clair marinas

OR

Move the motor from center to port, but this involves a lot of transom work.

Any not so obvious ideas out there?
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Image[/img]
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Some have modified the rudder to clear the outboard, i.e. changed the shape and profile. If you search the forum you'll probably find some examples.

Good luck!
Dave

1976 Mutineer
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Thanks. Been searching but cannot find any post related... I understand that there is some math and theory involved in the shape of the rudder, but could I just cut a crescent shape out of the back side of the rudder so the prop clears? I cannot imagine that small of a change will impact things all too much... am I wrong?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, since your shape is already modified, just clean it up a little! LOL!

I can not imagine a huge difference if you do not race, I'd not worry the slightest.
Scott
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Thanks
Ira Madsen

Rudder Hits Prop

Post by Ira Madsen »

I don't have any chunks out of my rudder, but I saw the possibility, so I attached a block of hard rubber on the rudder swivel that prevents the rudder from swinging all the way up. I configured it so it will come within about 5 inches to the prop, but no further. It's just a fabricated "stop" that limits the rudder's up angle. I still get plenty shallow, too.

I've just joined the group, so maybe I'll post a picture when I figure out how.

Ira Madsen
Dauphin Island, AL
Reality

Post by Reality »

they make circular prop guards for small motors usually intended for small fishing boats in shallow water.