A little advice needed here....

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

A little advice needed here....

Post by hp18carr »

I've been looking for a smaller sailboat relatively cheap to play with while I work on my C26. This Siren 17' sailboat popped up in fairly rough condition... but as long as it sails... oh well. What has got me nervous is a little something the owner calls a dent, that he states has given him no trouble... photos to follow. Is this something that can be fixed without becoming a major repair... or should I run like *%#@ in the other direction? :shock: Also in one of the photos you see what maybe a stress crack in the settee consistent with the general location of the dent.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Terrence the setee crack does look like a stress crack more from twisting but I would be more concerned if you have a soft spot at the port stern where it looks like oil canning on the trailer look for stress marks around there or is it pulled tight on the trailer?
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Terrence,

it looks to me like you have a sailboat hull on a regular type bunk trailer. Not enough support for the hull where it lays on the bunks and the hull is crushing in. It will eventually crack and cause more trouble than it is worth. Is the boat strapped down in the back? If so, release the tie downs to relieve the pressure, but, that hull could have permanent dis-figuration from the stress.

I had a San Juan 21 on my Bayliner trailer for about a year and the hull eventually cracked thru from not having enough support. If you take the boat and trailer, find some way to put lots more surface on the bunks to provide enough support for the hull. Other than that, Happy Sailing. 72 degrees here today. Unreal. Jeff
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks guys, even I at times can see the light without to much prodding... this sailboat would just be another major project... already got one of those. :(

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

IMHO

There are so many boats for sale at the moment and it only stands to get better for buyers in the coming month or so. Pass on this one and find one without questionable hull dis figuration.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Just FYI,
The oil panning may not be such a huge deal however last boat I saw like that had been sitting with a LOT of water in the hull for a long time.

Water is easily pumped out however, the damage was done to all the hidden wooden parts. Everything wood was rotted out badly. Since it was a smaller boat the wooden parts were very hard to get to.

IF you pick the boat up,check for wooden bulkheads, supports, etc.
They may have issues.

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

RUN! :shock:
Find something you can get on the water with quickly.
Like you said, you already have a project boat.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
windnutlarry

Siren project

Post by windnutlarry »

I've seen a few of those problems here in NE Wisconsin. It usually happens when a boat sits uncovered in the winter, and leaves and ice plug up the cockpit drains. All the accumulated weight is borne by the hull on the bunks, and it just caves in. There is probably some level of laminate damage on the inside that would be nearly impossible to get to. I could see it as a cheap "first boat" for a couple of kids to learn to sail in, but not much more. Sirens were, and are, fairly popular. They have a pin to lock the swing keel down, making then self-righting. Good luck.
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Too bad you are in NC, id sell you my Bucc 18. it is going on the market this spring
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante