standing rigging on C22...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

Speaking of rigging. Has any one got a pic of how they rig their boom on a C26. I bought my with all the rigging down. I'm pretty sur I have all the hardware but I'm unsure about exactly how it goes
The earth is 75% water,can you sail?
mariner

Post by mariner »

astrorad wrote:Thanks Tony...Did they send the old rigging back...mine is all pretty good looking so would be nice to have it for spare just in case.
Yes, they sent everything back in a very neat package, it took about two and a half weeks from start to finish. I sent everything to them, then they sent me a quote, I gave them a Credit card number and then it took about a week for them to make, (I was not in any hurry) they billed the card when they shipped.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thank you Tony...I will contact them this week...sounds great!!!
Bill
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

Thanks for the extra info Mariner. Does any one know of any other online stores for standing rigging? I've had zero response form Seco South, a couple emails and submitted an request quote from their website. All has gone unanswered.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
mariner

Post by mariner »

trev wrote:Thanks for the extra info Mariner. Does any one know of any other online stores for standing rigging? I've had zero response form Seco South, a couple emails and submitted an request quote from their website. All has gone unanswered.
When I ordered my rigging, I called them then I packaged everything up and added written instructions to the box, etc.

Giant "leap of faith" for me as I was not comfortable just shipping off all my rigging to someone I did not know or trust.

they emailed me with a quote...same as quoted on the phone and told me when they would be done. I called several times with newbie questions and they were very nice and helpful (spoke to Jean and another guy when Jean could not answer my question). The quality of all of the components was outstanding. I had no problems. In my experience, not everyone who advertises on line is attached to their computers or email, my guess is that secosouth may be one of those, preferring to do business face to face or via telephone ?
Last edited by mariner on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Trev
Have you tried Hoopers in Afton.
http://www.hoopersyachts.com/
At least they are local to us, I think they do that kind of work.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I had very good luck with secosouth....same as mariner. I posted in the resources area about it....very pleased. Can't imagine why they would not respond....Bill
Bill
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

After about 3 weeks Secosouth did respond to the online quote through their website and I placed an order for just the backstay.

Capt. Bondo - It's funny you mentioned Hoopers, I brought them the forstay from my Cal 2-25 the same day you mentioned them. Had an accidental halyard wrap last summer, thats a quick way to trash a forstay.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
John K

Post by John K »

Hi guys, I haven't been posting much. Life has been busy. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll use this one. I hope everyone is doing well.

We had some really rough winds this past weekend, like 4 foot waves in the marina with gusts to 40. Well, the boat slipped next to mine came loose and our boats got into "sword fight" of sorts. His mast head got hooked into one of my upper shrouds for a while. It ripped his windex off, bent a spreader badly, and his bow pulpit got bent up whe it came down on a piling. His boat suffered a lot of damage. An aluminum barge got loose as well, and pushed his boat around, scraping a corner of his transom down to bare fiberglass. My boat came out much better. It appears that the swage fitting on the shroud is bent, but not to badly. It also seems that my shroud(s) have stretched a bit though, which has me preparing for the prospect of replacing my standing rigging. I remembered this thread and the mention of Seco South.

My problem and my question:

Before this event, the shrouds were already getting towards the end of adjustment, and any more adjustment would probably take it all of the way in. If my standing rigging has stretched, which appears to be the case, and I send it all to Seco South for duplication, will they take the stretching into account when they make the new rigging? I would hate to get it all back and find that it's too long. Any insight or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
1977 C22: Dog House
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rigging shops never 'guess'

Post by C22Bob »

Rigging shops want your exact measurements. They would never 'guess' the length. Tune your mast exactly to your liking, then take those measurements to the rigger. The measurement is terminal end-to-terminal end including turnbuckles. Turnbuckles should be set to allow plenty of room for tightening later.
Hope that helps..

/bob
ststphen

Post by ststphen »

I have also had excellent experiences with Secosouth.
Dustin
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

John K...your best bet is to call Seco directly and talk to them with your concerns...they prefer a direct call rather than the online order form...They were very cordial when I spoke to them on the phone while ordering my rigging...they will instruct you as to what to do.
Bill
John K

Post by John K »

Thanks for the advice guys!
1977 C22: Dog House