Talk me out of buying this boat. Please

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Whabadoo

Talk me out of buying this boat. Please

Post by Whabadoo »

I am going to look at a C26 tonight.

What should I look for when inspecting this boat.

Please share your thoughts. looking to get back into sailing.

Here is the link to the craigslist add.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/boa/3689663925.html

Thanks

Steve
:P
DVD

Bring Cash

Post by DVD »

If the guy thinks his Blue Book is accurate might be tough. I would go through all the needs with him after looking for awhile, and then offer $1500 cash.. Good Luck
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

definitely offer less if only fair cond and no motor. You are going to need to transport it so the trailer would also bring the price down.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Trailer and boat complete, no motor.... I like it for $2000 but if you can get a better deal by all means do so.

Remember in the end the fair market price is what the seller is willing to sell for and what the buyer is willing to pay. Nothing more nothing less.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you have a new boat come morning.

(I have no interest in the boat, seller or buyer. I just want a C26 too and I think I would go for this deal the way it looks in the photo.)

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome to our Forum, some things are made every day. But 1979 Chrysler sail boats in that good of shape are hard to find.
Whabadoo

OK, gave her a look over

Post by Whabadoo »

Here's my concerns after being shown the boat.

Interior is very rough, all the side wall material has fallen off, cushions are in good shape but would need to be recovered (dated)

Floor has cracks and indeed made a cracking sound at least once when I took a step. Should that be a major concern?

Needs new flooring

Exterior teak wood is in very bad condition and would need to be replaced. Is that easily done?

Trailer is OK. Jack stand doesn't work and the tongue extension is rusted in place, needs tires and owner will take care of that if purchased.

Going back today and may make offer. Thanks for your help and if I buy, we will all become good friends cause I'll need your help

Thanks

Steve :roll:
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

bet the floor cracks at foot of steps and starboard side of table..they do that..I'd check for blisters at the bow. if seller will replace tires I'd be very tempted. ..But be prepared for sone fixing up..(Written from starboard settee of a c26 in Pass Christian harbor watching a great sunrise after this years first overnight..)
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Steve... a C26 with trailer will make any of our hearts skip a beat. I was very much in your shoes back in the day. Often older sailboats are like icebergs problems are out of sight. If this is all new to your as it was for me I really didn't at first know what I was looking at. Offer him $1000 and then work back up to $1500 if need be. I'm not saying to drop it and if your heart is in it go for it, but restoring a good old Chrysler is not a cheap undertaking in time or money. My C26 will sail, but not as soon as I would like it too. At the moment I'm doing what at least for me I should nave done first... start out smaller. There will still be a bit of work to do, but not nearly as much. Welcome to the form... the rant above is just my two cents worth. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
O-day 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I have one like it, if I did not I would be up for a road tripe to buy it. I would pay the $2000 if you think that is too much money to spend for a sail boat that you will learn to love. Sale the trailer for $2000 an have a free boat.
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Sorry, I can't help talk you out of buying a boat, it would be hypocritical.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Whabadoo

You guys let me down, bought the boat.

Post by Whabadoo »

Wrote the check today. Pick it up when the owner gets it cleaned up and air in the tires. Now for the barrage of question that I need answered.

40 Horse motor to big for this boat. I need a motor.

Teak wood topside trim needs replaced. any advice on doing this?

Big crack on top of the square fiberglass where the mast mounts, . Ugly looking but was told it was a non factor and he was going to patch fix.

More ? to come for certain.

Thanks
Steve
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

All right ! Ask away with the questions. These boats tend to have similiar problems that crop up on them all - the mast step area you mentioned is one of them. As is the creaky sole in the cabin..some of those fixes are on Emergency Exit's page at the link below my posts. I've worked on 2 of them and found the same things on both.
adamh

Post by adamh »

Darn! The posting has been deleted, I cant see the boat. You will need to post new pics. The fact that we have another C-26 owner on the forum is great. We seem to be the minority.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome Aboard Whabadoo, First thing to do is get it in the water an go sailing. Look for an old 2 stroke 6 hp to 15 hp Elec. start, extra long shaft. From were outboard sits on mount to center of prop 25 inches. GO Sailing, Go Sailing, Go Sailing, That is what the boat was made for, have fun with it.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Steve!
Congrats on your new boat!
I look forward to seeing photos,

Scott
Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

Ok just bought that motor sight unseen. How are are part to find should some be missing?? Specifically he mentioned something about a transmission control

I'm on a roll, no stopping me now.
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

:) Enjoy that C26 Whabadoo :)
C-26
Hunter 29.5
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Whabadoo wrote:Ok just bought that motor sight unseen. How are are part to find should some be missing?? Specifically he mentioned something about a transmission control

I'm on a roll, no stopping me now.
If its a Chrysler outboard, then there's no better source than Franz Buddenburg at www. Franzmarine.com. If there's a Chrysler outboard guru anywhere, well then whoever he is he asks Franz for advice. :wink:

Last time I asked he had a couple Sailor 280's for around $1200.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I have a extra remote shift control for a Chrysler Sailor 10 HP an have the outboard also. Not shore what you got ( web site no longer working ) I got the outboard an controls from sailbod2, motor had just been repaired now water pump an head gasket pugs an points. $350.00 for all.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

Here are a couple of pics of the motor out of my brother-in-laws Volvo trunk.

Not sure what I have or don't have here. I have owned a number of outboards in the past, but no two strokers.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1088 ... 2232476625

also

Need a gas tank, any recommendations?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Gas tank - the red generic Attwood 6 gallon will fit in there. Have to work at it, but it does
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks like its the 10hp that is correct for this boat. "Sailor 250" right ?
Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

Yep, Sailor 250.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Cool, that's the right one, or one of them. The Sailor 280 is the 12HP version.

By transmission control he could have meant anything from the cable to the actuator arm on the shift lever in the motor, etc.

I'd either by a shop manual for it, if inclined to do the work myself, or take it to a local shop if not. After sitting up you'll want to change the water pump impeller for sure.
Whabadoo

Post by Whabadoo »

Well, The only guy around who will work on that motor is booked out solid for a month, wouldn't even take my name.

Guess I'll be gett'n a manual. :D
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Whabadoo wrote:Well, The only guy around who will work on that motor is booked out solid for a month, wouldn't even take my name.

Guess I'll be gett'n a manual. :D
Bad time of year I guess, everybody thawing out the boats all at once.

My preferred method is to do at least 'try' to do the work myself. Even if it turns out to be over your level and you still take it to the shop you know something about the motor, and how to fix minor glitches. Franz has the true 'shop manuals'.

Clymers and others sell repair manuals but they can be a bit vague if they cover many models in one volume.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

You did good, youtube has step by step on how to get it running. But gas tank in first, then put the gas in. An go sailing, you can do it an we are hear to help. I have the shop manuals, an youtube has the videos on how to get it done.