1969 Chrysler Barracuda

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Herk_Man

1969 Chrysler Barracuda

Post by Herk_Man »

Hi all, I own a 1969 Chrysler Barracuda that is in pretty good shape. (It's the yellow one named Passe' if you do a Google search.) It needs some maintenance and I have a few questions.

The aluminum strip going around the entire deck needs to come off so I can silicone under it. Rain sneaks in there and obviously water too while under sail. The strip that is on there is in a few sections and the breaks from one section to another are not in symmetrical locations around the boat. Wondering if that is normal or if someone has used some product not originally intended for the Barracuda.

Also, in the hull, the mast step goes down to a block that is partially covered with fiberglass. Above that section there is some stacked plywood that is rotting. I'm not sure if someone put that wood in there afterwards or if it is even necessary. The step still feels quite secure. But if this is something I need to replace then it needs to be done now.

Also interested to hear if there are any others of this boat left out there. I just can't find anything on the web that indicates there are any still sailing.

Appreciate any words,

H
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

hi Herk...click on the link below for the only documentation we have on the Barracuda...you should also post on the Daysailors topic tab...Welcome to the forum...Bill
http://www.captainscottsailing.com/php/ ... ocList.php
Bill
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Welcome to the forum.
Nice looking boat .Have you stepped the mast yet? If you step it try it with and without the rotting plywood blocks. Maybe they were used to compensate for stretched or incorrect replacement stays. If that is the case just replace them with new epoxy coated blocks. Not quite sure what to think about the edging at the hull deck joint. I couldn't see it that clearly in the pics.

Good luck with the boat. it looks like it should be fun to sail. does it have a jib?
Clair
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome to the forum!

I see your Barracuda is for sale!
Feel free to post it in the for sale section with photos! Maybe you'll get some hits!

Scott