Mexico trip canceled

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Dayenu

Mexico trip canceled

Post by Dayenu »

:(

Well, we had everything line up, San Carlos slip, hoist use, secure storage for the truck and trailer.... but due to an illness in the family, then cash flow for extras we wanted (like a dinghy and small outboard), we finally decided to postpone the trip until next year.

The reality is work has been hectic and we still haven't had any shake down sailing at the lake... Taking a "new" boat on a trip like this just didn't seem prudent...

Tresa gets out of work June 10th (school schedule) and we will spend a week or so raising and lowering the mast, adding a few extras (LED interior lighting waiting in boxes ready to install) and get a feel for the different systems including going over, and running the outboard.

We'll have the rest of the summer to sail and enjoy under less hectic conditions while we examine :life on board" and make plans for boat projects during the fall and winter. (We have a small microwave we want to install under a yet to be built galley extension covering the short section of settee seat on that side.

There's more, but for now, those of you who have been following our "antics" and dreams, just wanted to let you know...

Once we made the decision and canceled with San Carlos Marina making it "final", Tresa and I both admitted we felt more relaxed and safer in our decision to hold off, explore and "push" the boat to test her and ourselves...

We'' take pictures this summer and share as we go along...

We also have a boat christening party planned following the laws of the sea with our pledges to Neptune, bottle of champagne and new vinyl lettering ready to go.... Should be a great party wished you could be here!

Thanks always for all the great input and advice!

Best,
Richard
What we now have, was once, only hoped for...
Dayenu

PS: running outboards on dry land

Post by Dayenu »

during my research and looking for a "Flush/wash" fitting for our outboard so we could run it on dry land without "the barrel", I learned something I never knew before...

These nifty brass fittings that screw into the bottom of the outboard shaft and accept a garden hose are ONLY for NON-RUNNING washing! Apparently, the water does not reach all of the engine...

TO run the engine (for any period of time), we need the old fashioned double suction cup attachment to run water in through the normal operating water intake...

After a life time of boating, I never knew this before... thought I'd share in case others didn't know like me!

Best,
Richard
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sorry to hear of the cancelled plans.

Probably a prudent decision on your part! Do keep us posted on your summer antics! Pictures are always welcomed and sometimes demanded! LOL!

Scott
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

Thanks for the kind reply....

The more we thought about the change, the better we actually felt. Both of us are seasoned sailors (I learned to sail before I rode my first two wheel bicycle and Tresa crewed on charters since she was in her 20's (We're both now 59)....

We could feel our shoulders drop and shared concerns with each other that we hadn't before... We just wanted this trip so much!

First photos to share will be the Christening party and the new name on the side of the boat!

:wink:

Richard
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

also sorry to hear of the cancelled plans and pray everyone is well.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Man I was looking forward to vicariously enjoying that trip. I hope all goes really well between now and next year when you will make the trip.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

Thank you Lyle,

Tresa and I are Ok... IT's her 25 year old son...

Since we canceled our trip, we are really looking forward to moving the boat up to the lake and sailing our brains out, testing all the great head sails that came with "Easy Street"... spinakers, etc... It will really give us a chance to see how we "fit" into our new baby, see how we function on the boat so I can better grasp how far I want to take some of the work I want to do... definitley a new galley... I also want a stern mounted tower to extend the bimini and have a place for solar panels, dinghy davitts etc...

Everyone knows... the dreams of what we'd like to do? Well, I have a complete shop (metal, wood, plastics (inlcuding injection and vacuum form plastic molding),,, custom everything! LOL!

the mind never sleeps!

Definitley taking photos to share as the projects prgress... (I update my prototype and film clients with step, by step photos so if anyone here wants to follow any of my projects, I'll probably have plans to share and probably be able to re-produce plastic parts for those wanting them....

Just have to wait and see.... (Just got a phone message for a new client based project... I'll know more tomorrow... (If interested, here's one of my web sites to share what I do here... not updated in a long while but defintiely shows the diversity of what I create.... www.jareldesign.com)

Ok... 6:30, Tresa's working in her garden (Certified Naster Gardener teaching at the local college), and I have a little more work to put into a project that ships to LA tomorrow...!

Thanks again and best to all,

Richard
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Sorry to hear of the change in plans, but it sounds like you did the right thing. Learn the boat, spend time on her and adapt her to suit you. Then when you go, you'll have a much better, and safer, trip.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com