I am finally a C-26 owner!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amayotte

I am finally a C-26 owner!

Post by amayotte »

I just picked her up this weekend and can't wait to start getting her ready for the water.
Here is a link to some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/adam.mayotte/Sonador

She needs a little work, but over all I think she is in amazing shape.

Adam
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

Congrats, seem like you got a very nice one! the red hull look sweet,please post pics of the interior when you have time.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

beautiful boat.

Congrats
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

beautiful boat, bimini too! sweet, congrats and welcome
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

I have some more photos:
http://picasaweb.google.ca/adam.mayotte/RaisingMast

First off I'd like to applaud all those who can raise their mast on their own. That was one dirty and long job, which I never thought I would actually succeed in doing. By the way I did not do it on my own...could not figure out how to.

Next, once I did get the mast up, my spreaders are crooked. I was hoping some of you could look at the pics and help me determine how to fix that. I never measured the distances of the spreaders from the masthead, so it's possible that they have slipped.
I was also hoping some of you could take a look at where my forestay and furling system are attatched and tell me if that looks right.

Thanks a lot,
Adam
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

If it makes you feel better the second time you step the mast it will be easier. The bad thing is unstepping the mast the first time is almost as brutal as stepping it.

Your stepping procedure from the pictures looks a bit more complicated then it needs to be however if it works go with it.

The hard part is over sailing her is much easier!
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

ya, I am really good at doing things the hard way.
I tried to do it like the manual stated but everytime I went to raise it the mast would swing to one side or the other.
I then decided to make a rigid bridle for the ropes to be tied to. This kept her straight as an arrow the entire way up.
The bridle consisted of a 2x4 by 8 feet long with 4 holes drilled into it, equadistant from the center. It only took 5 mins to make.
However, I am not too sure how the mast is put in place without the back board, which I used to rest it while tying everything in place.

To further my first question regarding the spreaders, has anyone ever used rigid spreaders, instead of the floppy ones that came with the boat?

Thanks again,
Adam
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

My spreaders are rigid, well they are rigid now. I had to rework the mast where the spreaders attach. With some advice for Windward I made a new compression post and then two plates that wrap around the mast for strength. When all is said and done my spreaders now do not flop around.

I will try and get a pic if I can. They are a bit high on the mast and it is stepped so pics might not work well.
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

That would be great if you could get a pic. Thanks.

I did some calling around about the mast and the spreaders and I was told that a compression insert is not needed. I was told that the mast is designed for the load. Whether that is true or not I don't know.
What I do know is that from what I've seen on mine, there is no insert. I will check again next week to make sure though.

what about the airfoil spreader and bracket off of this page?
http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... 2D500+Mast

Thanks,
Adam
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Thanks,
I'm going to move to that forum then for the remainder of my spreader questions.

Adam