Wanted: Rudder blade for Chrysler 22 or suggestion

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
juniorsamples8

Wanted: Rudder blade for Chrysler 22 or suggestion

Post by juniorsamples8 »

I did not double tie down rudder blade. Asphalt did a number on blade. Ever feel like a dolt? Would like to purchase replacement blade or fab replacement blade from aluminum ( would need outline of rudder blade from member) or learn how to fiberglass. This wonderful 1978 Chrysler 22 sailboat came into my life a month ago, got me off my rear and to the lake. I was going to try and sail it even with 4 to 6 inches of rudder missing, but had problems with motor.Got the hull wet but failed to launch. I am new to forum so sail with me while I learn. Got into sailing on a Rhodes 16 moved on to a Clipper Marine 21, then hit the big time with the Chrysler 22. I feel like the truck driver who took ten little white pills and his diesel truck would not start. Things will be brighter tomorrow.
Betty & Calvin
High Plains Sailors
1978 Chrysler 22 "The Good Life"
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Ruddercraft.com has high performance rudders for sale (or for sail) specifically for the C22. My boat came without one. Folks on this site have made them from all sorts of materials. Dimensions and an outline are available in the documents section.

So, where in Kansas? My wife & I are from Manhattan.

Paul in Denver
Tranquil Chaos
juniorsamples8

Thanks for the rudder lead.

Post by juniorsamples8 »

Garden City in South West Kansas. We trailer-ed to Lake Wilson last Saturday, , bass fishing tournament going on (Crowded), weekend with high gusting winds and outboard motor tilt pin was missing. In reverse motor would almost come out of the water :( . BUT, sleeping in v berth, with forward hatch open to catch the breeze, cottonwood leaves rustling, camping in a Chrysler pulled by a Dodge. It was a great trip. So where do you sail around Denver? Calvin
Betty & Calvin
High Plains Sailors
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Hi Junior...I purchased the mentioned RudderCraft rudder and it is of the highest quality...here is the link to their product...http://www.ruddercraft.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=304

They are good folks to work with...I phoned them about the rudder during the cold weather season and got a little bit of a deal. You certainly wouldn't want to drag this one at the current price...LOL.
Bill
juniorsamples8

Dragging Rudder

Post by juniorsamples8 »

Bill, thanks for the link. I had the very same thought today about how expensive it was to drag a rudder. Still working it out in my head on how to double tie it down. Not rocket science but a process.Will order one after the 4th. By the way, any particular yacht braid you are using on rudder lines that stand out from the rest? Happy Independence Day. Calvin
Betty & Calvin
High Plains Sailors
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I know Garden City. Wife's family owned & operated a skating rink there.

Checked the garage today and I have a full size drawing of the rudder outline. Can send a copy of it if you want. A friend of mine quipped, "Just cut out a slab of wood, stick it in there and go sailing."

Did it. Lasted a summer.

Best to you,

Paul in Denver
Tranquil Chaos
juniorsamples8

Rudder template

Post by juniorsamples8 »

Paul, thanks for offer of rudder template, maybe down the road I may need it. Summer is here and I will be ordering rudder from the link you sent. Summer is my busiest time of year and time/energy is in short supply. Thanks again, Calvin
Betty & Calvin
High Plains Sailors