forestay length

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
squint

forestay length

Post by squint »

I'm ordering a CDI furler and a 125 genoa. The sailmaker wants to know the forestay length. Anytone know offhand? I don't have mine to measure
FranS

Post by FranS »

Which boat?
squint

Post by squint »

Ha! I guess that would be helpful, huh?

Chrysler 22!
FranS

Post by FranS »

According to the manuel 28' 5 1/2 "
squint

Post by squint »

Thanks!
1971 Chrysler 22 "Ms Fortune"
Rigged, rerigged and rejigged
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Need to be more specific, If I remember correctly there are two versions and one has a taller mast so the forestay may be different depending on which version of the 22 your have.
squint

Post by squint »

Banshi wrote:Need to be more specific, If I remember correctly there are two versions and one has a taller mast so the forestay may be different depending on which version of the 22 your have.
Well, to completely forthright my boat has a crazy 30' mast. I'm going to be cutting it down to standard spec before launch this year. It just carries WAY too much sail right now. It's quite a handful.

So, I was just looking for the forestay length for the "standard" rig, not the "tall". The tall rig was only available on the fixed keels, wasn't it?
1971 Chrysler 22 "Ms Fortune"
Rigged, rerigged and rejigged
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I believe that would be correct because it carries more ballast as well at a little over 1000 pounds. I personally would have a hard time cutting down the mast knowing I could always reef the main if need be and when the air goes light you can always use more sail area. You'll have to adjust your main and jib accordingly. Is yours the swing keel ?
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

I have the cdi furler on my boat and you have to cut the extrusion to fit . I wouldnt order the sail till you get the furler installed and take your measurements from that it could very up to a foot in some cases if you order a sail according to the head stay it mite not fit . good luck
steve