Proud new owner of a 76 C22

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
bailor

Proud new owner of a 76 C22

Post by bailor »

A friend of mine just upgraded to a newer boat. I picked up his 76 Chrysler C22. I'm pretty excited about it! I've been wanting to get into sailing for years.

This boat has been sitting for a couple years. I noticed there is water in the boat, nothing big, but about 1 inch or so. I think it's coming in from a leaky window or two. Are there any other areas I should check for leaks?

Also, I don't know beans about sailing. Literally all I know is "this is the sail, this is the boat, this is the keel". I'm pretty handy with DIY and working on cars, so fixing it up isn't too much of a concern, but is there an instructional book that stands out above the rest for learning to sail? I need to get learned.
windnutlarry

New C22

Post by windnutlarry »

Welcome to the C22 and to the group!! First of all, I suggest you re-post your intro and inquiries to the general forum instead of a specialized topic like "Paint, fiberglass and maintenance". Handy first books are "The Blue Book of Sailing" and "The Complete Sailor", but there are many others. You will want to take it on the boat with you, so avoid large hard-bound expensive books for now. If you are the sociable type, hang around the marina and volunteer to crew on another boat. Older sailors in particular are often looking for someone to help with sail handling or foredeck duties. Don't worry about a little water in the cabin for now. The hatchboards in particular are a common source of leaks. Go inside and feel around for wet upholstery right after the next rain. Download the C22 owner's manual from the Documents section, and use that to memorize the name and function of every part you can see or touch. Knowledge first, effort and expense later. Good Luck
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

There are lots of yacht clubs probably in your area that offer classroom and hands-on training. It's a great way to learn with other novices, so no peer pressure. The Basic Keelboat Manual is usually provided with the course. You can buy it lots of places though. Very good reference to have handy. Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of info about restoration. you couldn't have picked a better boat to learn on. The Sandpiper is a fantastic sailboat to come out of the 70's.

Image [/img]
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I just watched a DVD that I got from NETFLIX that was a good beginner item.
Check out what the local library has also
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
tdupras

Possible Leaking Keel Hub (Joint)

Post by tdupras »

I also wanted to comment that my C22 'leaks' a little water (about a pint) every few days or so. It reaches a certain point and then stops. I was told this is perfectly normal for the boat design as it ages.
Torrey Dupras
C22 Venetian Night