Chrysler 22 swing keel brackets - anyone have feedback?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mjt

Chrysler 22 swing keel brackets - anyone have feedback?

Post by mjt »

Hello everyone -

I've read quite a bit about the replacement of swing keel brackets in C-22's and I was hoping that I might get a little feedback from people who have replaced the brackets on their boats.

There seems to be a general agreement that the best material to use for replacement brackets is stainless steel.

However, people seem to incorporate various designs. Some make their brackets with 1/4" stainless so that it fills into the recess of the keel well. Others have chosen to use 1/2" thick stainless with a recess in the mounting holes for the bolt heads to fit in.

So, if you would like to share what you've done that worked really well or tell us about things they may have done differently - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks -

Mike aka mjt
Rich

Post by Rich »

I've never done it, but I did read a great "how to" complete with pictures at http://www.chryslersailing.com under the "How to" section.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
peapod22

BRACKETS

Post by peapod22 »

I DID IT LAST SPRING. USED 1/4 INCH WITH RECESSED COUNTER SUNK STAINLESS STEEL SCREWS (BOLTS) A GOOD QUALITY HIGH CARBON STEEL WILL ALSO WORK WELL AND SHOULD LAST A LONG TIME. THE SECRET IS IN THE CAULK. IF YOU NEED SOME MADE UP LET ME KNOW AND MAYBE I CAN GET MOTIVATED. TO GET THEM DONE. (YEA, RIGHT) . DONT INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE SCREWS/BOLTS BECAUSE YOU WILL REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF FIBERGLASS AND BACKING AND GET PROBLEMS.
markbeadle

Post by markbeadle »