What a sail!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a sail!

Post by CaptainScott »

This evening 3 coworkers and i took Destiny out for a sail. NOAA promised 5-15 kts which is perfect for a leisurely sail.

After yesterday's record heat, NOAA missed the incoming cold front today. We arrived at the dock and did a brief rundown of Destiny, then left the dock. It was blowing 20 down Saratoga Passage. We motored out into Possession Sound into heavy white caps.

Hmm, let's fly half the main and half the jib.

After three hours of dipping the toe rails on a 40'er, hitting 8.2 knots, and winds blowing 20-30 kits we arrived back in Destinys slip safely!

Only regret is missing Diane's decorative plate while prepping for sailing! It was the only casualty in an otherwise very nice evening of sailing!

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Another fine and inspiring post from Capt. Scott. Well my outboard is back together and running fine. I am happy that the water pump did go out, because now it has for bolts instead of just three. So after about three years of water shooting up the engine from the broken bolt hole and water getting it to my lower unit. Well I should have done a better job first time. So now I am watching the weather forecast so that I can launch the boat and make the 25 mile sail to my slip. My 93-year-old mother informed me today that she wants to go with me on the 25 miles sail. Guess I have to give her a lot of credit and hope that I will still want to make it 25 miles sell when I am 93. Scott you have been an inspiration on boat cleanup to repairs on C-22 on keels. I always enjoy reading your post
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

When I got home from work wednesday, I looked out my front room window at Port Gardner Bay and Saratoga Passage. It looked a bit angry. All dark cobalt and grey, with long ridges of white stuff, close together. No problem for a boat like Destiny.

Speaking of wind, I was out today in the rain, poking along at 2.6 mph with me begrudging the fact that I have no genoa, as a nice Cal 30 came by me like I was standing still. I swear I could hear snickering.

Scott, I'm going to have to have you out so you can show me how to drive this thing. Heck, I only just figured out how to get the wrinkles out of the main so it can do its job. It was much better today.
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

July 6th, one day later...

After passing in review, and an exchange of heckling, I departed Destiny and headed out into Saratoga Passage to run with the big dogs. Boy, was I glad I installed the jiify reefing system. The little C-20 held its own with the wind at 18+ and caps everywhere. Lots of atomized spray over the bow and a healthy, stable heel of 12 to 15 degrees. Speed was 7.3 to 7.7, or about 6.5knots. Not blasting along, but okay for a short, tubby hull.

There are acouple videos on my YouTube channel OutnBacker, but not of the faster stuff because I was too busy.
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

93 y.o and sailing..... wow..inspiring for sure...thanks..
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343