Mast-O-Matic

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amayotte

Mast-O-Matic

Post by amayotte »

Hello,
I'm not too sure if anyone is interested in another approach to raising/lowering the mast but I've attached some photos.

Because I live in an area where there are no cranes to lift my mast I have no choice to raise and lower it myself at the marina. Also due to the fact that the previous owner took of the aft railing it was originally hard to raise it without external support, so I decided to design a system that would always be there with me when needed.
The way it works is there are 4 parts.

1. I built a new gin pole specifically for this boat. I didn't like using the boom as I thought it was too short and rubbed the v-berth hatch when the mast was raised.
2. I built a new bow support for when the mast is down. This is attached to the frame of the boat and somewhat floats providing shock absorption.
3. I built an aft mast support that slides in and out of the frame to provide support when raising/lowering and when traveling.
4. I bought a custom block and tackle with a 6:1 purchase.

NOTE: Don't weld near the boat...I started my new baby on fire and almost lost her. I only lost 2 blankets, a sleeping bag, and two pillows from the v-berth...but I was seconds from losing all of her.

I have since lowered the mast with incredible ease and have towed it home (250 kms) without any issues.
There are several benefits for me since I don't need to rely on anyone else helping me. I have tons of room in the cockpit when on the trailer; which allows me to work on it on the dry, the mast doesn't rub on the rails anymore, and the list kind of goes on for me from there.

Here are the pics if anyone is interested.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/adam.mayotte/SonadorMast

Adam
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

this set-up is an engineering feat... what you did with the trailer is cool...very innovative...I will most likely have todo this single handed so all this ideas are very helpful
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Thanks for the reply.
It was a lot of fun making actually. I really like it when my ideas come true, since it doesn't happen very often.
If anyone would like some measurements or drawings, just let me know.

I find that working on the boat is almost more fun that sailing it. That is just me though.

Adam