Almost lost my mast and rigging

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

Almost lost my mast and rigging

Post by ronc98 »

I was one tack away from loosing my mast today. We had some pretty heavy wind today gusts up to 28knt I fought the wind for about two hours then got tired of being healed over to 40 degree so I reefed the main. Spent the rest of the day running up and down the lake. I packed it in after about 8 hours of constant sailing. When I got to the dock and started putting eveyrthing away I noticed that the port front shroud pin was missing the clip and the pin was almost out of the shackel.

It could have been a very sad day. Glad I stopped when I did, One more port tack and I would have lost that shroud. I doubt it would have brought down the whole mast but it would not have been much fun.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Yikes. Sounds like a good time to remind all to check/change all the safety rings on all the pins, huh ?
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

the weird thing is I always check these kind of things Not sure what happened but could have been ugly.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Glad you made it back in one peice. Before our second sail this season we got to the boat and found the inner shrouds flapping, looks like we forgot to tighten down the jam nuts on the shrouds when we stepped the mast the week before, and they worked loose over the week.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I am thinking off replacing all my safty rings with cotterpins. I think this would help prevent any more issues with safty rings from backing off the pins.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

We stepped EE's mast again yesterday, and launched her.

I also replaced the safety rings on my shrouds with cotter pins, long enough ones so they would stop the turnbuckle from being able to turn much at all.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Are you also using cotter pins on the pin that holds the shrouds to the chainplates?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Not at present, am going to - bought the local store out of all the good pins they had in stock, waiting for more -