Downhaul and Jib Sheet Questions

Post All Rigging Topics Here
T.Bird

Downhaul and Jib Sheet Questions

Post by T.Bird »

When I introduced myself as a new C22 owner I said that I was happily finding the answer to most of my questions to be readily available online. But alas... I have a few questions to lay before you guys.

Downhaul. The boat didn't come with one, but from what I can gather from the picture in the owners manual on the documents page, it doesn't look like it should take much more the a simple line between the ring under the gooseneck to the ring at the base of the mast. Am I missing anything here?

Also... It seems like the jib sheets need to be run through some sort of movable blocks on the toerail in order to achieve proper sail trim, no? The boat only came with fixed blocks on the cockpit combing, but these seem too far aft. Any (hopefully cheep!) recommendations for blocks that could remedy this?

Thanks!
Tom
C22

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
monty

Post by monty »

my 26 has no genoa tracks, I use snatch blocks attached to the toerail. works fine
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
T.Bird

Post by T.Bird »

Any advice for a novice sailor on where to place said blocks (fore and aft) in relation to different size headsails?

Tom
C22

Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

It's going to depend on the size of your head sail, the larger the head sail the farther back you need to attach the blocks.
I know that when flying my working jib (90%) the blocks are mounted two holes in front of the rear lifeline stanchion. You may need to play around with the location until you get the correct sail shape, then mark them with tape or a Sharpe.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

T.Bird wrote:Any advice for a novice sailor on where to place said blocks (fore and aft) in relation to different size headsails?

Tom
Capt Bondo has good advice on which way to move and mark the blocks. You can also get a ballpark location by sighting along the jib sheet towards the sail. That line should usually bisect the jib clew.
T.Bird

Post by T.Bird »

EmergencyExit wrote:...That line should usually bisect the jib clew.
Thanks guys! We're getting it out on the water for the second time this weekend. We'll start with this as a reference point.
C22