26' bilge pump

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
darmah

26' bilge pump

Post by darmah »

Where was the original location and the through hull routing? Placement looks viable in access below aft berth/ companionway but could possibly be placed under sole ahead of swing keel.
Tb or not tb
boaty

Bilge pump location

Post by boaty »

Hello Darmah. On my 77 c26 witch I believe is in the stock configuration the bilge pump is located below the access hatch in the aft cabin, and the through hull is right by the sink drain on the port side. Rember to put a big arch in the line on the bulkhead behind the sink so water cannot come in while the boat is healed over to port while sailing. Also on my boat there is no ready access that I'm aware of to the bilge in front of the keel. The bilge pump fits real nice in the aft location though. Hope this helps. Fair winds.
C Hilden
1973 Luger South Wind 21
1977 C26 Sweet Dreams
1981 Irwin 37 MKV CC
darmah

Post by darmah »

Thanks boaty,
So on your port side you have a galley sink discharge and nearby the bilge discharge? I thought maybe a junction of sorts would allow both to use the same port. Are they equal height ?
Tb or not tb
Reality

Post by Reality »

probably different on a C26, but on my C22 I dumped the outlet of the bilge pump into the top of the fuel tank locker which the scuppers run through. Any bilge pump output will go out the scuppers.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bilge pump location

Post by EmergencyExit »

boaty wrote:Hello Darmah. On my 77 c26 witch I believe is in the stock configuration the bilge pump is located below the access hatch in the aft cabin, and the through hull is right by the sink drain on the port side. Rember to put a big arch in the line on the bulkhead behind the sink so water cannot come in while the boat is healed over to port while sailing. Also on my boat there is no ready access that I'm aware of to the bilge in front of the keel. The bilge pump fits real nice in the aft location though. Hope this helps. Fair winds.
Ditto here on EE - there also is an bilge area under the head compartment, but you'd have to either crawl forward under the port banquette to get a pump in there (too small for me and I'm skinny skinny), or you could make an access port in the sole of the head near the mast post, but the hull gets very close to the sole very quickly in that area like an inch at the foot of the riser for the potti is.

There's some detail on that area at
http://svemergencyexit.net/ee/
its actually the last thing I was working on before I realized how bad the hull/deck joint was on EE and postponed all work till I could address that..
darmah

Post by darmah »

Have you inspected that head area of the bilge for depth of water as opposed to the aft berth access? Which is the lower point of the hull when afloat, deepest point?
I have pondered both location but have only had the hull on trailer so far.
Tb or not tb
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

darmah wrote:Have you inspected that head area of the bilge for depth of water as opposed to the aft berth access? Which is the lower point of the hull when afloat, deepest point?
I have pondered both location but have only had the hull on trailer so far.

I'd go with the area at the back of the keel pocket - actually those two areas (stern berth/head) aren't connected on the C26, at least not on the 1979's, and I'm don't know which year yours is so may be different. The concrete ballast pour under the cabin sole separates them. Although they are open to each other under the port banquette, it would take a lot of water to flow thru there.

EE only had a bit of very old funky water under the head when I opened that up, been there for years it smelled like.
darmah

Post by darmah »

'78
Tb or not tb
darmah

OEM bilge pump location

Post by darmah »

Did this boat come with a bilge pump? And where was it's location?
This one has a manual pump in the head are but has had the head changed to a port-a-potty. I might use the through hull and route aft bilge pump fwd through bulkhead to its line.

After totally clearing any water in aft berth area of bilge I trailered the boat up and down some steep hills to it's new home and again had water 1/2", aft. This leads me to think a partition in the vicinity of swing keel exits that allowed travel aft with a certain level of fwd bilge water in the vicinity of mast compression post.
Tb or not tb
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Darmah, from what I found on EE, there is a slight path for water as you say. (Sadly I used to have a great site of info and pics on EE's original post Katrina gutting and rebuild, but it got ate when Bellsouth dropped Personal Page storage areas.)

Keeping in mind the 79's have a concrete and lead shot ballast pour, it's due to there being a slight air gap between the bottom of the sole plywood and the ballast pour. The little bulkhead at the rear of the keel pocket does not go all the way up to the plywood either. So yes when tilted any water up front can possibly seep thru and back to the aft area. Its also why the soles rot out from the bottom.

Another possibility is some early models had lead bars encased in foam under the cabin sole, and there's a problem with the foam getting water logged. Somewhere in an old Good Old Boat issue was an account of an owner digging all that out and repouring the lead.

As far as an original pump location, I don't know myself - but these boats came very "T Model" like back in the day, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were shipped without one. Goodness knows the DC circuitry was almost nil..running lights and a fan in EE.

You could just put a pump in each place. The biggest place in the boat thats always surprised me was no pump under the VBerth; there's some serious space under there.

Again, that area under the head is an inch from the hull towards the port...so explore carefully in there. Toward the head door you've got a few inches.