Back To Chrysler Cult After 15 years

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Ira Madsen

Back To Chrysler Cult After 15 years

Post by Ira Madsen »

I've just purchased a 1978 C26 from Stockton Lake in Missouri, and hauled her 700 miles to Dauphin Island, Alabama. I'm refurbishing her now and hope to get her wet by spring 2016.

I sailed a 1977 C22 "Haiku" for 16 years back in the late 80's, and I truly loved that boat. I met Caroline during this time, and we sailed the Chrysler often and fell in love. But, for some strange reason, along the way, we decided to go bigger...MUCH BIGGER!

We bought a 1977 Irwin Center Cockpit Ketch, "Boola Riki." We've owner her for 15 years, and I've got to say, it's a totally different experience.

To go from portapotty and outboard to inboard diesel and two marine heads was truly a learning experience! Big boats mean big "systems" and big maintenance. I loved sailing the ketch, but the catch was all the work a boat that size requires. My weekends became divided between work and play. I'd check the wind forecast each week, and would have to choose; play on the best day, work on the other. I had two lists of projects; things I want to do, and things I HAVE TO do to keep her afloat.

I'm not a spring chicken anymore, and working upside down beneath the sole while hair soaks up bilge water is for younger bucks. We made the decision to sell the ketch and go back to our first love...a Chrysler. This was when we decided to move to the gulf, and we couldn't imagine trucking such a big hunk of boat so far.

My wife liked Haiku (C22), except for the total lack of privacy in the head. So, we agreed to get the 22's big sister, primarily for the enclosed head compartment. Sure, she seems tiny compared to our 37 footer, but we are at the point in life where we just want to scale down. Simplify. We want to play most of our boating time, and not have all the systems and expense of maintaining them.

We are antsy to get this boat in the water (and properly named), but we're going to make her a new, old boat first. We're redoing everything. New cushions and foam, new wall coverings, carpet, ventilation...as I said, EVERYTHING. This will be our coastal cruiser (now that we live on an island in the gulf), and my retirement vessel. We have big plans for our golden years, and the simplicity and sturdiness of Chrysler will be the perfect compromise for us.

So...that's who we are. Die hard sailors who have returned to the "Chrysler Cult" after a long lesson in being truly satisfied with less. Mama's happy with some privacy aboard, and I'm thrilled with the sheer simplicity of the C26. I think we'll make a happy 3some.

I've just re-joined this forum after many years away, and wanted to introduce ourselves and give you the sordid story (the Readers Digest Version). Once I remember how to post photos I'll put up some progress pictures. I look forward to participating and sharing here, among like-minded ancient boat enthusiasts.

Fair WInds,

Ira & Caroline Madsen
Dauphin Island, AL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard or . . . . Welcome back!
Great history on where you've been and have come from!

No doubt the size of the boat impacts the effort! Irwins are pretty well know cruising boats! They seem to be gaining popularity here in the Pacific Northwest!

You'll have plenty of help from the C26 crew around here!

Scott
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

Welcome back aboard! I am working on a 26 of my own, and look forward to hearing how your project goes. Fair winds!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Glad you made it back aboard! The 26 should great around DI, only a few feet draft for the sound side, and then crank the keel down for the Bay!
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Nice post. I look forward to hearing about your project progress.
Cheers,
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome back folks.
Bill
Ira Madsen

OK...so I missed Spring '16!

Post by Ira Madsen »

In my original post, I predicted a spring '16 splashdown. Oops. Missed it!

I have the boat on it's trailer, sitting beside my house. I've learned much about refitting a sailboat. In particular, I've learned that every project reveals 3 more that must be done! What I thought would be a simple "lipstick on the pig" restoration has turned into a complete rebuild. Silly me.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and soon I'll be finished rewiring. Then, it's a matter of installing new everything, painting the bottom, and going sailing!

I have plenty of "progress pictures", and I intend to learn how to upload them to the gallery section here, soon.

Oh, by the way, we decided on her new name! It just came to us, over the course of 16 months of working upside down while making countless, off-the-cuff decisions.
Our boat will be "KNOT SURE!"
Appropriate.

Fair Winds,

Ira Madsen
Dauphin Island, AL
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I know your pain Ira...it took me a little over 5 years to finish my restore.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Posting pictures is pretty easy.
Just find a photo host and upload them.

Then just link to them here!!

Scott