"New" 1978 22'

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Bobby

"New" 1978 22'

Post by Bobby »

Hello. I just picked up a C 22 July 4th. This is my 1st sailboat though I have sailed on a much larger 80' Schooner. I have been talking about getting one for 20 + years and teaching my sons. I have a lot of work to do on it but feel it was so cheap that it will be worth it. Besides, when you restore something you will understand it more thoroughly. I live in Sanford FL so will be putting in on Lake Monroe as soon as the temp drops below 1000 deg.

Bobby
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard Bobby ! (good luck with that temp thing, I'm just hoping it cools off to 90 for Christmas on the MS Gulf Coast - it has been brutal ! )
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I've got the same boat. You will have fun. You'll find the boat handles quite well. Enjoy.
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." --Wind in the Willows
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome Bobby...there is a wealth of knowledge here in the forum and the members are very helpful at answering questions you will be asking.
Bill
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Thanks. I have plenty to work on. One of the first thing will be what to do about the mast support repair. I think people pulled on it when climbing up the ladder over the transom. I was thinking that instead of repairing the glass and reattaching I might make a bracket to attach it to that would slip over the transom and could be removed when not in use.

[img][img]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/InteriorArtworks/CAM00987_zpsky1nrou7.jpg[/img]

[img][img]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/InteriorArtworks/CAM00988_zpsnx9fzyws.jpg[/img][/img]
Reality

Post by Reality »

biggest problem I see is that the cracks/breakage are very close to where the back stays fasten. The pull on the back stays under sail could pull fail unless this area is repaired structurally (not just cosmetic).
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

My thoughts exactly.
Anyone know how to get the special access to the documents page?
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard.
The PO of my boat had fabricated some big medal backing plates that hold both the mast support and the back stays. That really helps spread the load from those items.
It's also wise to have someone hold the mast support when rolling the mast back to step it. I have also used tie down straps from the top of the mast support, forward to the toe rail to add support while rolling the mast back when I step the mast alone.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

We have the transom repair underway and the boys cleaned out the nasty bilge. Someone put a fresh water bladder in there wrapped in a nasty carpet. They ran the sprayer hose up through the cockpit floor so I will need to fill that hole in.
I was able to post a video on facebook but can't seem to embed it here.

Anyone know how I could do that?

https://www.facebook.com/robert.a.casle ... 790434193/
[/url]

Got it. Right clicked on video instead of embed. It showed the url to copy.
Last edited by Bobby on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Not sure, but pretty sure the bbCode doesn't have a provision for a FB video embed..youtube, yes tho..
Bobby

transom repair

Post by Bobby »

As suspected, the backing below the back stay bracket was gone. I will also need to put something behind the motor mount and swim ladder.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.a.casle ... 977398867/
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

I have these exact repairs coming in my future.
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Thanks for posting the videos. I find these very helpful with my own restoration learning curve.
MichiganBill

Rail mounted roller?

Post by MichiganBill »

This is a basic question ( a warning patience may be needed if you keep reading). I'm interested in mounting a roller on the pushpin rail, like in the photo above. Do they sell split rubber rollers, or do you have to modify them yourself? I haven't been able to find a split version online.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

The roller I removed had been cut and screwed together but did not turn well and probably contributed to the transom damage. I will take some better photos of the mount I made which is working great.

I am finally ready to sail! I ordered a new Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro and it should be here Monday.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 169&type=3
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bobby. I have the same outboard on a Compac 23. If you can supply it with ethanol free fuel its a good idea. Based on what I've read, the small carb passages are known to clog a touch and affect low idle stalling and cause rich mixture issues, and also float sticking/flooding issues.

They seem to be a nice outboard, I'm happy with mine, but I do need to do a carb clean since mine seems to have those symptoms
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I have the Tohatsu 9.8 and I unplug my fuel line while the motor is running to empty the carb of fuel. I was advised to do this by a knowledgeable West Marine employee. So far I have not had any problems with my outboard.
Bill
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Thanks. I only use ethanol free for anything on the water and lawn equipment. It was hard to find around here for years.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Well we finally had our maiden voyage today! The new motor arrived late a few days ago and performed beyond my requirements. (It is nice and lite also) We put in at Lake Monroe in downtown Sanford. It was pretty hot in the parking lot. I felt like a side order of bacon. When I put her in I did not extend the tongue or put my truck in 4x4 and had no issues other than the bunk boards on the trailer were so rusty they fell off. I have her in a slip for a few days while I work on the trailer.
Sailing was awesome! 15 k with some nice gust. I had a friend and two of my sons with me and we all woke up when I dipped the rail a few times! We stopped for a swim and picnic and I new I had made a good decision in getting this boat. I have SEVERAL more projects to do but nothing that will prevent us from having fun in between each one. Thank you guys for your advice and I will post some photos soon.
Bobby 8)
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

jsa

Post by jsa »

Nice! She's lookin' good!
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I am bad about taking photos. Here are a few my buddy took during our first sail. Two of my three sons, Kyle and Carson, were with me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

looks really good Bobby
Bill
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Looking Good and all smiles under sail!
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place