"Free Boat" C22 Need Advice (Long Post)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.

Go or no go?

Go
50%
No go
50%

Total votes: 4

PorterF

"Free Boat" C22 Need Advice (Long Post)

Post by PorterF »

Hi All,

I have been reading the forum for a few days, and I am impressed with the community you all have here for these sailboats!

A friend asked for my advice on wether or not to accept a "Free" Chrysler 22, it has been sitting for 10 years. The owner bought it from an auction to flip it, and the trailer broke on the way in, it has sat there since. As you well know, there is no such thing as a free boat. Accepting this, we have budgeted $1,000 to get us sailing and having fun. Not going for a restoration here, but I need your help so we can decide if we can do this on a budget.

I am somewhat new to sailing, I keep a 1975 Flying Scot on a lake nearby with a great racing fleet. There is also a strong fleet of small keel boats called Corinthians at the same lake. Most boats are in davits or board pads, but there is a small mooring field that we could use at little to no cost.

I went and checked out the boat today and I have posted pictures here.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0V5yeZFhamy3D

The trailer needs some professional welding/repair work, and we are working on getting a quote for that. Fortunately it is at an air field and there is a lot of equipment around we can borrow to get the boat out of there, including some large rolling A-frames that we can use to hold up the boat to get the trailer out.

There was a shoddy repair in the cockpit step with plywood through bolting to the winch mount. That worries me, it looks like a significant water leaking issue and would like to correct this, but not sure how it could be done without extensive re-glassing. Thoughts?

Genoa traveler rails and various cleats seem to have been added in the cabin roof, they don't seem to be leaking, but would like to re-seat them with some silicone. There has been some leaking on the starboard side and the seat back fiberglass is delaminated, if you look closely you can see the bulging in the photos, would probably leave that alone. I would suspect the windows are the problem here, I will want to re-seat them as well. (Shoutout to Astrorad2000's YouTube channel - Thank you Sir!)

The tiller is completely delaminated and will need to be replaced. The collar that attaches the tiller to the rudder post is cracked in half at the collar and will need to be replaced. Is this something I can find? The diameter needed for the rudder post measures 1.5"

Not pictured are 5 sails in good condition. 1 spinnaker, 1 main and 3 genoas. (1 might be a jib?) I only looked a the main, the 110 and an unmarked front sail that looked like a genoa, the other bag said 150 so I assumed it was in similar condition and was a 150 genoa. Seems like great shape there.

Topside paint looks pretty rough. Will see where we get with a power washing. The sliding hatch feels a little flimsy but seems fine. Hatch wall boards seem weathered but adequate. Hatch top wooden rails probably need to be replaced. Will I have to make new ones, or is there a compatible part here?

Cushions will need to be re-covered. Fortunately I can use a sewing machine, unfortunately I don't have the old ones to use as templates, but doesn't seem too hard. Anyone ever made these without zippers? Maybe just using an overlap at one end.

There is no outboard, don't plan on getting one. Would try to go without, but then would tend towards a battery operated trolling motor with a solar panel to charge it. I don't think I will really need to motor very much, and the other keel boats at our lake don't typically have them.

All the lines seem shot, deck winches need some help, mast base seems like its modified with turning blocks and cleats. Boom is accounted for but not pictured. Need to find a new table post, suggestions welcome here. One of the spreader bars is sagging, but probably isn't damaged badly.

Keel pin seems ok, it seems like it isn't corroded and has a lot of silicone around the bolts inside the boat. I did not crawl underneath, and am not an expert here. Rudder swings freely and does not wiggle, did not test raising and lowering.

Can we lower the mast safely with these old lines?

How can I inspect the flotation foam? There wasn't any standing water in the boat but there was a wet webbing strap in the floor under the hatch door, floor underneath seems solid though.

There is a threaded steel pipe capped at a flange fitting in the wall to the keel trunk, above and aft of the keel pin. What is that?

Is staying on budget possible?
Other thoughts?

Thanks!

Porter
Flying Scot #2705
Reality

Post by Reality »

I bought a nice one on a nice trailer that needed no work for $1250 2 years ago . I think that was a much better deal than the one you'd get for free but spend $1000 (probably more) and hundreds of hours fixing. Mine even had 2 brand new wheels and tires, 3 sails, VHF radio, all the cushions, and needed no repairs at all.
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Porter, Welcome (almost) to the Chrysler fleet. They are great, well built boats which seem to last forever with little work. That said, do you enjoy working on fixing problems with a boat? There are those among us who get a great deal of satisfaction from tackling a project and seeing it through. If you are more into the 'using' camp, I agree wholeheartedly with Reality. I bought my 22 about five years ago for $2000, and it came to me in fabulous shape, with an original Chrysler motor and trailer, and lots of extras. The only issue I have had to deal with was the rudder bracket where the post and tiller connect broke but it was a fairly easy fix.

Anyway, a free boat is hard to pass up so maybe, if you enjoy the work, you won't have much invested if down the road you find out that the project is more than you thought. You can always decide to put it back in the field for another ten years if the costs start to get out of control. Good luk with your decision and with your Chrysler.

Jeff
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Porter, thank you for the compliment on my YouTube channel. Many of your questions may be answered by my playlist videos on the restoration of my boat. It sounds to me like you would have a mighty task on your hands and a cost of at least $ 3000 to get the boat in safe seaworthy condition.
I paid $2000 for mine and replaced all the standing rigging, running rigging, reinforced all the life line stanchions and chainplates with backing plates. I replaced the lifelines, rebuilt the companionway sliding hatch...and on and on.
If you have a lot of time on your hands and a good, reliable helper then go for it. My boat turned out better than when it was new, but if I had known what I was in for I would have bought the West Wight Potter 19 for $10,000 that was for sale at the same time instead. It was much newer and needed no work at all. I'm not saying that my Chrysler is inferior...it is wonderful, but I got very tired of all the work that had to be done.
How much do I have invested in my boat??? I haven't tallied the receipts yet, but off the top of my head I would say $2000 for the boat, $2100 for the motor, and another $4000 for parts and material...not to mention uncounted hours of my labor and bloody knuckles.
Bill
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I just picked up mine for $800. New tires, sails, no motor. I have a little work fabricating a new mast support, transom repairs and a few new halyard lines and I will be painting and varnishing woodwork. I restored a 1970 Fairlane 500 and ended up spending 5 years doing everything. I enjoy the restoration process and sense of accomplishment but now understand that you can do what needs to be done just to use it and then do little projects when time allows. I also have sons that I want to teach and have a project to work on together. If you have the tools, knowledge, time and are creative with low cost alternatives, this could be a great project. Just don't start it and spend money on it unless you know you will follow through.

[img][img]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/InteriorArtworks/FairlaneAtWinefest010_zps21e3f078.jpg[/img][/img]
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

What Fairlane? Lol!

I tend to enjoy bringing boats back to life. I'd do that one in a heartbeat!
However, know yourself first. Would you do it? Maybe beat yourself up for not?

It truly is a labor of love. You can recoupe your money easy but you will never recover your time. If you enjoy the effort, claim her NOW! If it is just work in your eyes, go buy a complete boat and go sailing!

Scott
figure9

Post by figure9 »

If you are handy, (looks like you are based on the nice car restore) I would go for it. I paid 550 for mine, with motor, but needs a new rudder and rudder cheeks. Also the spreaders were bent. The trailer needed new rims a tires, tongue lift and paint. You will have great satisfaction bring it back to its original state. Good luck