Lines Led aft ideas for Chrysler 22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Rich

Lines Led aft ideas for Chrysler 22

Post by Rich »

I've got a '77 C22 and I'd like to lead the lines for the foresail and mainsail halyards forward to the cockpit. I have a pop-top which changes the amount of usable space to an extent. Anyone with a pop-top 22 have their lines led aft? Any pictures of how you did it? If you've got pictures, put no where to upload them so you can display them in a post, you could email them to me, and I could upload them, so that anyone else reading this can see the pictures too. Also, I'm contemplating setting the boat up for a Spinnaker, so then I'd need to add a spinnaker halyard, a topping lift, and a foreguy any ideas on how to set this up, and how it would look? I like pictures because I have a hard time visualizing how things should go.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

I have a pair of Chrysler 22s, both 1975, neither with the pop-top. The one I'm restoring, which means it's sitting on it's trailer with the mast down, has all the lines led aft and is equiped for a spinnaker. I'll get some pics of the line setup this weekend. If I'm feeling really ambitious I'll raise the mast for better photos of the spinnaker hardware.

I do have a question about masts though... I noticed when the two boats were sitting side by side that one has a mast approximately four feet longer than the other. Both are swing keel boats. Does anyone know if Chrysler made a taller rig option or is the tall mast a later addition. Except for length both masts appear identical, the tall rig is the one with the spinnaker.

Steve
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yeah, there was a standard and tall rig. I'm not sure which one I have. How long is the longest mast anyway?

And thanks for offering to take pictures. If you need a place to upload them let me know and I can arange something.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
Wag4513

My set up

Post by Wag4513 »

I have my halyards led aft, mainsail on one side of the mast, headsail on the other. In the picture below you can see how they run. (If the photo is not there go to the Yahoo message board and in photos look in the folder named "switches".)

However, I am changing the set up. In the photo the turning block at the base of the mast is backward(I have already reversed those), the fairlead that turns the line 90 degrees creates a lot of friction, and the cam cleats are placed behind the winches so they can't be used to tighten the sails.

I am going to replace the fairleads with deck organizers that have blocks to ease the friction. The cam cleats are going to be removed and replaced with rope clutches place ahead of the winches. This should reduce the friction and allow me to use the winches to tighten the luff of the sail when I need to.

Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
selah

Post by selah »

The link wasn't working to the yahoo site, probably because you have to be logged in to view stuff at yahoo. So I copied the picture to a local directory at Chryslersailors.com and edited your link so the picture would work. Hope that's o.k. with you Jim.
Wag4513

Thanks

Post by Wag4513 »

I was afraid of that. The picture shows up on my computer because it is in the cache. That is why I put the info about the location. Thanks again.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

I didn't have ambition to raise the mast, so the photos were taken with the mast down. Actually after sailing Saturday when I tried to lower the jib it wouldn't move an inch. Light was failing fast so I used a bunch of bungee cords to reef it around the forestay and put off solving the problem until I had sunlight. Sunday I lowered the mast to find that the cable had jumped off the pully and wedged itself between the wheel and side casing. Lower and raising the mast on one boat was enough for one day.

Here are photos of the mast step on the second boat, which has the lines led aft. As you can see, there is a block attachment plate made of 1/8 inch stainless steel mounted under the normal aluminum mast pivot.

Here are photos showing the deck organizers and line clamps.

Here are photos showing a closer view of the line clamps.

Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks for the photos. The clutches are exactly what I had in mind.
markbeadle

Post by markbeadle »

I have a similar setup on my boat. Mine is set like your companion way port side layout. My lines starting, hatch side first, jib, spinnaker, and spinnaker pole downhaul.

I have a couple of questions about your setup.

Why two sets both port and starboard side?

In the companion way starboard picture there is a clamp cleet just above the window. What do you us this for?
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

I'm forced to admit ignorance about the function of all those blocks and rope grabs. When it comes to boats bigger than my old O'Day daysailor I still in the novice stage. I have never sailed this boat. I bought it about a month ago as a project boat. As you can see from the sad state of the wood in the photos, I haven't gotten to the topside yet. I have finished sanding the hull and keel so this week (weather permitting), she gets new paint from the rail down. I also have another C-22 which I purchased in February, my first sailboat larger than the O'Day. That boat didn't have a trailer. I set out to find a used trailer, when I finally found one it already had another C-22 on it. But the price was right, so now I have two. I mentioned the rigs in a post above. The first boat has the standard 26' 6" mast, the mast on this one is about four feet longer, I haven't gotten out the tape measure but call it roughly thirty feet.
Rich

Post by Rich »

My hunch is that the boat is set up for a spinnaker, and the additional clutches and blocks are for the spinnaker uphaul and the topping lift and forguy. Or perhaps they had a dousing sock, and so there's a control line to raise the sock and one to lower.

My family used to have an O'day, a 15' daysailer, it was a hoot!
norm6804

Aft Rigging

Post by norm6804 »

I've got a C22 and want to run the lines from the mast to the cockpit.

Just wanna know what hardware you used to achieve that.

The pics don't show up in the post except the one pic.

Thanks
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard norm6804; I don't think anyone on that thread is still active on the group, and the pics are gone with them;

maybe someone else will pitch in. Since there are no specific Chrysler parts, pretty much any generic parts will work. A vertical turning block, a horizontal one, and a cam cleat all sized for your line and you're in business !
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Welcome to the fleet!,
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome to the forum!

As EE stated this is a ten year old thread so the original posters are not around anymore!

For running lines aft it is pretty much do what you want.
I did the same for Lady Jo.

In short, I bought a mast plate that goes UNDER the mast and provides a nice platform to mount turning blocks. So halyards come down the mast and turn 90 degrees towards port and starboard along the deck. I then mounted two cheek blocks on the deck to turn the halyards yet again 90 degrees but this time towards the cockpit. At the cockpit on top of the combing I added a cleat on either side to allow for tying off the halyards!

It works great for my needs and can get some photos over the weekend if you'd like! I plan on sailing her Sunday!

Scott