1 man mast raising system

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Careyr

1 man mast raising system

Post by Careyr »

Early this summer I decided to rig my TMI in a way similar to the C22's, using the old Chrysler bridle system. Bill was kind enough to give me the dimensions to the recommended toe rail slots for the Bridles. And, over and over I watched Scott's sequence of photos as he raised his.

My big project this summer was replacing the cockpit well (sole) and repainting the cockpit, so the mast raising system was something going in and out of my head. But I finally got it built and it was well worth my while.

I took the measurements I'd been given and mounted truck bed eyes, a bit in from the toe rail because TMI has none. They turned out to be pretty slick because when not being used they can be threaded out of the bases and replaced with a stainless bolt with rubber o ring to seal out the water. Installed as such, the whole setup is then almost flush with the deck and non-obstructive.

I raise and lowered 3 times before the glitches were worked out, one of them being that my bridle wires must go inboard of the shrouds. Another one was taking the knot out of the two bridle rings. Chrysler recommended tying knots at each point, but I found making that a slip point for the line really improved things, allowing the bridle ring to continually adjust itself as the mast went up. The third was that I learned that raising the rings higher than the mast hinge point greatly aided the side-to-side stability.

I could not believe how well it works! On Saturday afternoon my brother and I took her down to the river for a first sail in 5 years. There were easily 35 mph gusts, we were angled to the wind, but still, he just watched and I just cranked.

That was a good note to end my sailing career on, as earlier this year I had a heart attack and it is now too much for me. Putting her up for sale in a week or so, happy that the new owner will enjoy the ease of mast raising!
Video of first time, I think: https://youtu.be/YwUss85Zz6Q
You may have to paste it in the browser.
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sorry to hear about the health issues....I can sympathize somewhat, the knee surgery from 6 months ago still has me putting off sailing for now..
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope your knee heels well! Those knees are important to a sailor!!
Carey
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OH man!
I'm happily reading a great story and .. . . . that is an good end to my sailing career?

YIKES!

Sorry to hear of the health issues. I sure hope you recover fully!

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Sorry to hear you must sell her...take care and good health to you.
Bill
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

Thanks for the well wishes. I must have written what I did in a weak, un-seamanlike manner because your notes were a wake up call. I won't go away just yet by selling my boat and losing my legitimate reason for hanging around this site! That suddenly seems like a rash decision I had made.
Like Astrorad, I had a 5 year project, getting the boat ship shape. I started reflecting on all the help I received from this site - it was as if you all were building my boat, right alongside me!
I did not mention that since my health incident I've made great personal strides, eating strictly out of the garden, joining Planet Fitness and losing 40 pounds.
I am thinking I'll just cover her up in the backyard for another winter in Iowa - and see what next summer brings! Heck, when I read that astrorad sails Lake Michigan - that's only 4 hours away - maybe we can meet up for some sailing. It's only a 4 hour drive and I have long-dreamed of sailing that lake!!
Carey
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Glad to hear that the health issue is under control somewhat anyway!

Yeah,
it happens. Rash choices in crisis mode almost always are regretful!
Hang tight! Keep health in check the best you can and ENJOY!

There is no reason you need to leave the forum either! LOL!

I'm sure we can find some extra bytes and bits to keep ya around! :)

Scott
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

thanks Scott. I am looking forward to hanging around!!
Carey