Everyone must be sailing!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Everyone must be sailing!

Post by CaptainScott »

Been quiet around here! LOL!

Anyone have a good story to share?
With the holidays it gets boring at work!

Scott
jsa

Post by jsa »

This year was the start of a Chrysler story for the wife and me. We got a 78' 22 after searching around for a while. We ended up finding what we were looking for and she was in our hands around the end of June.

The previous owner was a great guy to deal with. He had built a new trailer for the boat, and used his experience as a military aviation electrician to trick out the electronics. He even delivered the boat to our home waters, helped us rig it on what became the hottest day of the year, and made sure we were good to go on everything before passing her on to us. We feel very fortunate to have had that experience.

We've been members of a small sailing club on one of North Carolina's most interesting natural lakes, Lake Waccamaw, for a few years. I was actually just voted in as Vice Commodore, so I'm looking forward to that. The lake has an average depth of about eight feet, but that depth is consistently eight feet, give or take, for more or less the entirety of the lake if you exclude its shorelines. The lake is a 3 X5 mile oval.

I've been sailing Hobie Cats for a little over a decade, and my wife and I decided that we should probably get something that we could enjoy together a little more. We are both in our early 30's, for reference. The Hobie is great, and it fulfills one of our... well, mostly my... need for speed and the Sandpiper fulfills that cruising lifestyle that we are looking for and hopefully working towards. Truth be told, the Hobie hasn't seen a lot of action since we got the Chrysler, and I'm not complaining a bit. The cat is certainly not out of rotation though.

We keep the boat moored on the lake. My wife and I are both teachers, so the summer was more or less filled with sailing and getting to know the boat. We started with short sails and getting used to launching, docking, anchoring, and handling the mooring. All of that was relatively new to us. This is our first "big" boat. The years of dinghy experience seemed to have paid off with the actual sailing part of everything... and does she sail like a dream!

Once we were comfortable with everything we started taking friends out. We took out our newlywed friends from college, my sister, my parents, random people from the club, the new teachers that are working as visiting international faculty from Jamaica, anyone that wanted to go more or less.

We've made more stories than I could write about on this post, but here are a few:

The first would be a lesson in slowing down. My wife and I were sailing by ourselves after recently taking over ownership of Miss Marian. (That was the name she came with. She is named for the previous owner's wife, but we've come to like the ring of it. Plus, we wouldn't dare change it without ceremony...but for another post perhaps) We decided to sail to the eastern side of the lake cool off in the shallows where we could stand. After setting anchor and testing the depth we both jumped off the boat for some much needed NC summer relief.

The brain must have fired off all of those panic chemicals around the time I hit the water, because as I surfaced I immediately began to think.... How the hell am I going to get back on this thing? This isn't a catamaran. This thing has three feet of freeboard! You should have worked out more.

After trying, and failing to get back on, my wife tried to get back on from my shoulders. That also didn't work. I was eventually able to get back on with an all-I-had jump from the sandy bottom, pretend your life depends on it, wriggle your way up there by whatever means necessary approach.

We now have a ladder securely bungee tied to the aft rails at all times. I suppose when there is time to think things through, you ought to. Lesson learned.

The second short story would be my attempt to stay on the water for 24 hours or more. This would be the first time I had done this. I went out solo on an early November weekend. I set sail a little after noon on a Friday. I sailed around in a light wind day until the sun began to set over the lake. I dropped sail around sunset and motored to the State Park side of the lake for some solitude. I set anchor and tidied up. It was a beautiful evening and I had a nice soup dinner. I knew there was a cold front coming through, but the chance for precipitation was extremely low.

Well, it didn't rain, but boy did it wind. As the night wore on, winds began to pick up. By the time I'd finished dinner it was getting breezy, and temps were going down to the 30's. I was on the receiving end of it all, and the waves really began to build on this small lake. I wish I had an anemometer to confirm, but I feel confident in saying it was steady 20-25 and gusting to 35. There was a lot of white water. The waves were audibly rolling by me. I sat around in the cabin and occupied my time with various tasks.

I eventually had to sleep, so I set alarms for every 45 minutes. I'd get up and check the anchor before going back to bed. I slept surprisingly well that way and woke up to an equally windy morning.

I made some oatmeal and waited for the winds to subside some. Once the wind had stopped misting water from the tops of the waves I decided to set sail. I pulled anchor, raised the main, put in a reef, and started off towards home. After an hour of sailing the winds had calmed enough for me to feel good about taking out the jib. I was happy with myself for being able to handle the boat single handed. I sailed throughout the afternoon before finally returning to the club dock. I had spent 26 hours on the boat and accomplished my goal. I'm looking forward to more adventures.

So, that's just a little of our story. I'm looking forward to the next chapters!!!

I hope you are all doing well and preparing to enjoy a wonderful holiday season. Fair winds to you all.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Great stories JSA...have a great holiday.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Great read!!

I need more!

Come on everyone!

Scott
cummings

Missed it by that much...

Post by cummings »

OK, I can't tell you any stories about my Chrysler 22 because I got it too late in the year to sail, but I'll tell you a short one about my Pirateer 13.

I took it out for a nice day at the local lake, I needed some relaxation because of the hectic schedule I've had. So, not wanting to get wet I had this plan. I'd launch it, use a long line to the bow and bring it around to the doc and tie it off.

So, it went just like I pictured. It wasn't going anywhere and seemed secure, so I pulled the trailer out the lake and parked it, jogged down the hill to the doc and was thinking how this was going to be fun.

I start taking a step to board, then this distraction happens and I look away from what I'm doing, next thing I know I'm treading water. It was deeper than I thought. So, to make it look like I did it on purpose I cleaned part of the hull by wiping it down with my hands...

After take two, where I watched my step, I did have a nice day sailing and I eventually dried out.

Lesson learned, watch your footing when boarding. Don't get distracted... Otherwise you might just get wet.
Matthew Cummings
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is great!!
Thanks!

I was once a dock with my bride when a very large 50' power boat came in.
She was on the bow yelling instructions. He was on the flying bridge driving!

As they aggressively entered the slip she was yelling stop! He just kept saying "WHAT"? She finally turned to face him and yell STOP!!! He immediately slammed the boat into reverse causing her to flip over the bow backwards! Just like a cartoon or sit com! She did not hit the dock thank God!

After they were secured I jumped in the dink and rescued her hat. I returned it to her. She did not look even a little bit pleased. heh heh!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

JSA; Good story. It a good rule to deploy the ladder anytime your at anchor. You never know when you may end up in the water, by choice or by accident. A Coast Guard in the Apostle Islands once told me that most drowning victim's are recovered with there zipper down :shock: . They had gone up on deck to relive themselves, and somehow fallen overboard with no way to get back on board.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
jsa

Post by jsa »

Here is a little video I shot yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_dQVpw ... e=youtu.be
Goodguzzi

Stories

Post by Goodguzzi »

I have a c22 . It's here at the marina in Saint Cloud , Florida . Bought it in July of this year . First time sailboat owner . I have had it out a number of times . I've looked at most of the FAQ but can't locate the answer to a few questions . Are the scuppers that penitrate the stern supposed to be sleeved thru the hull ? Is there some kind of seam at the stern and lazzerith meet ? I can see water coming in there when I have more weight in the back of the boat . I have a Honda 7.5 which is heavy but I wouldn't think it's too much . I can crawl underneath and see the water pass around the rudder hose . Water drains into the cabin . First I thought keel and assorted hardware . Nope , then rudder , Nope . It's coming from stern . Maybe motor mount bolts . Anyway great sight . Thanks for any help .
Merry Christmas , Ed
Vacations , boats , KLR , LT-1
Reality

Post by Reality »

when I got my C22 a couple years ago it leaked from the seam inside the fuel locker at the stern. I could see loose silicone caulk at that seem. Water that sloshed into the compartment when backing with the outboard would make it's way into the cabin. I removed the caulk and resealed using spray on truck bed liner (very thick and rubbery). That solved the problem. I think the problem had been created by mounting a heavy 12v battery in the compartment and that weight broke the seam during trailering. I've move the battery forward and that compartment is empty now.
Last edited by Reality on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stories

Post by CaptainScott »

Goodguzzi wrote:I have a c22 . It's here at the marina in Saint Cloud , Florida . Bought it in July of this year . First time sailboat owner . I have had it out a number of times . I've looked at most of the FAQ but can't locate the answer to a few questions . Are the scuppers that penitrate the stern supposed to be sleeved thru the hull ? Is there some kind of seam at the stern and lazzerith meet ? I can see water coming in there when I have more weight in the back of the boat . I have a Honda 7.5 which is heavy but I wouldn't think it's too much . I can crawl underneath and see the water pass around the rudder hose . Water drains into the cabin . First I thought keel and assorted hardware . Nope , then rudder , Nope . It's coming from stern . Maybe motor mount bolts . Anyway great sight . Thanks for any help .
Merry Christmas , Ed
First, welcome aboard!!
Merry Christmas!!

And ...

How was your experience joining us?
Others have had issues. Did you have any?

Thanks!
Captain Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Good video JSA. Water coming in the scuppers should not enter the inside of the cabin. The seam may be broken that keeps water intrusion at bay.

My story concerns my trip from Kenosha, WI to Winthrop Harbor, IL at the end of this season. My grandson Logan and my buddy Brian helped me motor Wabi Sabi to take her out of the water for the season. Everything went very smoothly, but it did make for a long day. When the boat was safe at home in the driveway I discovered that I had not opened the vent screw on the plastic gas tank. The sides were sucked inward very noticeably. Luckily opening the vent screw relieved the vacuum and the tank returned to normal shape after a while in the sun. I was very fortunate that the engine did not starve for fuel and quit during the trip and that the tank did not rupture. I need a checklist!!!
Bill
jsa

Post by jsa »

Thanks for the compliments. Before I shot the video that I shared, I had been practicing heaving-to. I had read up on it, but had not yet put it to practice.

I was amazed at how easily the boat parked itself once I came across the wind and backwinded the jib. I lashed the tiller hard over, lightly sheeted the main to center, and she just drifted sideways. I was able to make a warm soup lunch with the sails up! There was a nice slick of water on the windward side of the boat. It doesn't really work that way with my catamaran or sunfish.

I was out solo that day, but I can't wait to show my wife. She'll like to know that she no longer has to take the tiller every time I need a break. Although, she is also starting to like driving the boat when the wind is light. That's something she would never do on the catamaran.

Getting this Chrysler 22 has helped me learn so much more about various techniques that I may not have researched otherwise.