What size headsail do you fly most?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jsa

What size headsail do you fly most?

Post by jsa »

I'm just curious as to what size headsail you fly on your C22 most often. I have a 130% jib and a 150% genoa that came with the boat when I purchased her.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I have a 150% genoa that only gets used in light air, and can be a pain when tacking. The head sails I use most often are my 90 and 110. The 90 looks to be the original head sail that came with the boat for general overall use.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
jsa

Post by jsa »

Thanks for the reply! I may consider getting a smaller jib. The boat heels quite a bit in the 10-12 range with the 130. It's not enough wind to make me want to reef, but it would be nice to keep the boat a little flatter.

I've been learning a lot and loving every minute of sailing the 22 over the last year. It's been a bit of a learning curve. I think I've finally started to "trust the keel" and slow down my reactions some... letting the boat correct itself. On the Hobie 16, delayed reactions usually mean unexpected swims.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I'm sure that going form a catamaran to a mono hull would take some getting use to.
Be assured that your C22 will not send you swimming.
At about 35-40 degrees of heel she will start to develop weather helm, and will want (and will) to turn up into the wind.
"Embrace the heel" on the C22, she will feel tender when she is rather flat but at about 15 to 20 degrees of heel she will stiffen up. Along with a consistence wind and the sails trimmed just right, she'll hold a course with the lightest touch of the tiller. :D
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place