C26 Performance?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
fritz3000g

C26 Performance?

Post by fritz3000g »

I've been looking into getting a C26 and wondering about performance.

Given an unloaded Sail/Displacement ratio of just over 16, I would expect it to be slow (especially compared to my current ratio of 24).

Given this, is an oversize Genoa and a Spinnaker required equipment? Are there any other tips for getting reasonable performance out of it? Or do folks just motor in light winds?
Skipper Dan

Re: C26 Performance?

Post by Skipper Dan »

Depends a lot on upwind downwind or cross wind. I can hit hull speed downwind no problem. On Lake Superior I only had a 100 jib and I could have used more. I now have a 170 I am looking forward to trying. Up wind is not the best performance. In my opinion it is not a racing boat, it is more of a cruiser. You give up speed for comfort and stability. I've been on Lake Sakakawea in over 40 mph blows and had a blast. As a side note, I have electric propulsion so if I do not like my speed I can turn it on and get that little bit of gain for free in silence. Most of the guys I talk to only go as high as a 130, as anything larger you need a gentle breeze. I bought the 170 used so I thought I would try it, then decide on a 130 or 150. You also have to look at where you sail and what the conditions are most of the time. In ND 30 mph is a gentle breeze and we get it every day. Ideally my sails would be a storm, 100, 130 and 170 genoa. I have two reefs in the Main. I AM NEVER IN A HURRY!
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks Skipper Dan!

I'm a little surprised about the upwind performance being worse than downwind given both the shoal and swing keel (i.e. minimum slippage), but I suppose the lack of a traveller and the lack of a foil-shaped keel doesn't help.

Has anyone ever seen a polar diagram for a C26? I saw this VMG diagram which looks like about what I'd expect for moderate winds (~15-20) http://users.accesscomm.ca/gbabish/09vmg.png

Any tips on C26 performance?
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

In case new folks on the forum don’t know, Aerocet is a fixed keel C26 . You have probably read some of the numerous blogs since you found this diagram.It was sailed extensively on a lake in Canada I believe.
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

I was going by what I was able to do on my boat with less than optimal sails, I now have a new main and soon to have a new 130 or 150. I have not yet used the 170 which is rather newer. Time will tell.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks Dan!