stove replacement in my C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CraigWik

stove replacement in my C26

Post by CraigWik »

I'm getting ready to replace the original Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove in my C26.

I'm considering either a 2-burner gimballed Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove, or a 2-burner gimballed ENO propane stove. I have an Origo alcohol stove in my Columbia 36, and it has worked well, but the fumes are kind of annoying, the alcohol reservoirs need to be refilled every few days, and alcohol fuel is fairly expensive. And I'm not sure if it is very available in the Bahamas, where I plan to take Nansen for 4-5 weeks in February. And propane has ~40% better heating capacity than alcohol.

I'm aware of all the "general" comparison points and the warnings about safety precautions for propane, but I wondered if anyone has comparison points specific to a Chrysler 26. My galley is the factory original layout, with the sink to the port side of the companionway and the stove further to port from the sink. The two stoves I'm considering will be tight fits, but it appears that they will fit and be usable. I was planning to hang the propane tank (probably 11-lb or 17-lb capacity, aluminum or composite construction) from the stern rail. I'll use high pressure propane-specific hose, a remote-operation solenoid valve at the tank, a propane sniffer in the bilge.

Thanks,

Craig
C26, Nansen
Skipper Dan

Re: stove replacement in my C26

Post by Skipper Dan »

I have a Kenyon pressurized stove and love it. I saw on one of my facebook groups someone had a simple single burner that hooked to a little propane bottle that set into the sink that also converted to a regular two burner stove. So you got three things in one. Looked kinda OK. The problem with propane is getting the bottles filled. They are not all standard. By the way I have never had any problems heating with my alcohol stove. I had parts of it replaced and this year I think I will just get a refurbished one from the factory. I am not sure if you know there is a company that will rebuild your stove for you good as new.
CraigWik

Post by CraigWik »

Thanks Dan. I"ll have to investigate filling connectors/hoses for the Bahamas.

I tried the Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove once, and it's the closest I've ever come to burning up a boat. While trying to get it running, the flame got higher and higher and wouldn't shut off. I tried extinguishing it with a bottle of water, since I'd heard that was possible with alcohol stoves. But it didn't go out. Then I tried smothering it with an upside-down pot. But I couldn't get a tight enough seal. The flames were getting closer to the curtains on the nearest portlight, and seemed to also be spreading under the stove, so I finally used my dry chemical fire extinguisher, which was effective, but messy. I think the control valve wasn't working. The ironic thing is that this happened five years ago, and the stove has been unused since then, since we've been spending all of our sailing time on our Columbia 36. When I started to get ready to remove the stove to prep Nansen for an upcoming trip to Florida/Bahamas, I was amazed when I opened the valve and alcohol gushed out. So it wouldn't shut off at the time of the original problem, but it must have shut off right after I extinguished the flame, and it held the pressure for 5 years! Since then I've read a number of comments about how unsafe/unreliable the pressurized alcohol stoves are. I'm glad to hear yours works well, though!
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

Sounds like you may have had it pumped up too high. If you get rid of it please let me know. By the way my son was killed from a LP heater explosion, (Mr. Heater) far more deadly than alcohol.