C-22 keel removal how much clearance is needed

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ejr1212

C-22 keel removal how much clearance is needed

Post by ejr1212 »

Can anyone tell me how much clearance is needed below the hull of the boat to remove the keel?

I am trying to figure out if I have sufficient room to remove the keel with my boat on the trailer.
brigadoon

Re: C-22 keel removal how much clearance is needed

Post by brigadoon »

I,m surprised no one has tried to answer your question yet. I tried earlier but was out of the county and for some reason my post would not log on. To figure out how much clearance you need measure the amount of keel exposed beneath the hull then measure the trunk height inside. Add about 8” for clearance .Adding all the figures should give you a good idea of how much room you need to pull the keel. You can probably do it without the extra 8” but trying to do it on the trailer sounds iffy to me , I suppose it might be possible depending on the trailer configuration. If you do pull the keel be very carefull in how you support it because it is heavy enough to cause severe injury and it will be difficult to realign when it’s time to reinstall.You should take a look at the subject in previous posts as a number of members have overhauled keels on both the 26 and 22 Chrysler in the past and have recorded it.
Good luck , Rick / Brigadoon
Skipper Dan

Re: C-22 keel removal how much clearance is needed

Post by Skipper Dan »

You can do it if you jack up the trailer and support it with blocks. Then remove the axles, just roll them out of the way. Of course this depends on your trailer config.