Mast Stepping

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mast Stepping

Post by EmergencyExit »

Stepped EE's mast today, must be getting older because pulling on that mainsheet wasn't working for me - just too hard.

Instead I attached the trailer winch to the boom end and cranked it up. Much better at least for me.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Yet another way to get it up. I am geting closer to geting my boat in, got a truck. 1996 Cev. 1500 4/4. Boat has ben siting in drive two years, nothing to move it with. Por boat has not seen water in 14 years. Hope it hasen't forgot how to swim.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If the truck doesn't work out, I "hear" (no personal knowledge of course :wink: ) that if you rent a 17' U-Haul, it tows up to 10,000 pounds. Probably they wouldn't rent it to you tho if you mentioned the boat ( :wink: again)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Just being set to go, got the truck for $ 5'000 it has 100745 miles, is en vary good shape. I have been keeping my boat's at my brothers, he has a fishery. So I have had a free slip, an only 2 miles from home. Good deal but Saginaw bay is not vary deep you have to be out two miles to avoid hiting rocks. So about all you see is water, an the slip, with all the bugs an spiders, what a mess. Clen the boat on Monday an the next day it is full of bugs an spiders. If I liked bugs an spiders, a messey boat, an just seeing the same thing all the time I wood stay there. One could just take a truck out for a test drive in the spring an fall. Culd keep the 20-C out there, just for a quick get away. I have been spending co much cleing C 26 , I wont to keep it clean, an looking good. I let the registration espire on the Mac 25, that has ben geeping me from getting C 26 set to go, rather be sailing than working. I have allways steped the mast with the boat in the water. Figer this I am a retired Ironworker, the boat sits perdy high on the triler. Will I got this fere of fall off the boat, don't figer! With the C 20 center point on mast is about 3 foot past the end of the boat, wich is a littel ruff. have to keep the foot of the mast tyed down to keep the mast on the boat. Happy Sailing To All
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bit pricey, tho. I did about 160 miles including fuel it was $188, but it pulled EE easy and comfy.

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... thumbs&ck=

Good to hear from you, docbob !
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ref from http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/

Oddly enough the 1977 mast raising instructions just say attach the jib halyard to the boom, but the 1979 instructions say to "shackle genoa halyard to 24" of line and secure to gooseneck". So it doesn't surprise me that you found the halyard a bit short.

EE had the original length jib halyard per the specs, and I had to add some line to make it to the boom. Wasn't too happy about adding another one of my poorly tied knots in that mix the mast was being raised on either !

Be careful not to get a bind on that mast step hook while stepping the mast. Trust me on that one.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I have the orignal instructions for rasing the mast but I mist that part about shackling genoa halyard to 24' of line, but I see that now(DUH). I did make the erection bridles out of 1/8" cable so when we rase the mast it will not sway to either side. And I will be repacing the screws in the mast step before rasing the mast again with 1" longer screws.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bob, don't add too much to those screws, they might wind up in the head. Or gripping so hard the whole deck rips out.

I had about decided that when lowering my mast, it got too far to one side and that's why it bound up on the hook and caused the incident.

Stay straight as you can, and all should be fine
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

EE after seeing your photos of your mast step hook laying on the ground. I said to my self, self in the worse case scenario what wound I rather have the hook laying on the ground or a big hole in the top of the boat. I vote for the hook on the ground. With the erection bridies the mast stays straight when going up.I thank I will stay with orignal screws
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Since I step the mast by standing of the bow of the boat I would rather have a hole in the boat then the mast to turn into a battering ram and knock a hole in me. I am much better doing fiberglass work then fixing a whole in my body.

Those pictures still scare the crap out of me everytime I pull my mast up.