anchor question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

anchor question

Post by ronc98 »

is it just me or is it pretty easy to loose an anchor. I had to let mine go today, I beleive it got caught under a tree or some roots. I spent two hours tring to get it out. If I had my scuba tank I could have gotten it but at 30 feet it was abit deeped then I could freedive, not to mention it would have been pitch black.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ouch,

Don't know about that but I can attest that it is easy to drop your best Digital Volt Meter overboard, twice as a matter of fact - got it back with the boat hook,went to lean over and drop it on the dock to dry out, and it bounced back in the water again and sunk this time - stupid rubber case !

On the Fourth when I raised anchor, it came back with a Falstaff beer can, complete with two triangle holes from the old school opener !

If you are much younger than me, you may need to Google that, last can I saw was in about 1968.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

1968 is a year before me.

Ok I do not feel so bad.

Thanks
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, Ron, so if you were born in 69, you're telling I can look at you and say "I've got empty beer cans older than you ?" :wink:
Then I must be getting old.

Sorry about the anchor....
Chrysler20%26

Add another line

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Good anchors arn't cheep, I use two lines on mine. One to hold the boat. an one at the other end of the ancher. The back side, just a small line coled up in a milk jug, that I throu with the anchor. It also marks the location of the ancher. Allso have my low tec diveing gear. 5gal. portable air tank. (12 bucks, Some air hose, single stage regalater (that goes in your mouth) 35 bucks an a litel 12 volt air compreser,12 bucks. That is less than a new anchor.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Still got one of those openers on the fridge, it even gets used once a year at thanksgiving to open 2 cans of condensed milk then back on the fridge :wink:
Gus

Post by Gus »

You can always use a tripping line to retrieve a fauled anchor. This one time, I dropped the emergency anchor, and it wouldn't bite. After I ran aground, I retrieved it, and it came up with an abandoned and rusted out crab pot... :)
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

curious, what kind of ground tackle are you all using and where , oh where , do you store it all?

I have a smallish danforth that hangs off teh front of the bow pulpit from a bespoke bracket...REAL UGLY and the chain/rope goes down a small hole inteh deck , through a tube into the storage area under teh V-berth....
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I have two danforth (9 lbs I believe) both with 10 foot of chain and 100+ feet of rope. One is stored under the port cockpit seat outside of my cabin door storage nook so it/they don't slide around. I keep the extra anchor under the v berth. If I need a longer line I will just undo the line from one anchor and add to the other giving me 200+ of rope. If I was still slipping I think I'd try adding the extra anchor about half way up the first anchors chain. 200 feet gives you a a maximum depth of about 40 feet but you'd be better off not going deeper than 30 feet minus the height of your deck from the water. Your are looking for a 7-1, 5-1 minimum ratio depending on conditions of the sea, currents, tides, wind, bottom and other near by vessels among other things. I would like to get a good plow in the future to add flexibility to what type of bottom conditions I can safely anchor in.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

thanks. onthe J30 I used to carry a "day " hook for lunch and thena heavier danforth for "overnighting" teh J-30 had a great moldied in danforth locker on the fordeck..miss that.

see:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=10195F

the specs say we might be able to get away with a 5lb danforth...go figure...that would be might nice!
Windward

Windward's wildly overtackled...

Post by Windward »

and overtackled is good 8)

Where I sail it's not uncommon to anchor in 50' of water. The bottom's often foul, so I usually set two hooks to reduce swing / wrap on various stuff. This necessitates having twice the scope I actually need on the primary hook so I can back down, drop #2 and end up with adequate scope on it.

I've had good luck with cheaper anchors, although they're good cheap ones, not garbage.

Primary: 16.5" Manta claw, 30' 1/4" HT chain, 500' 3/8" Samthane-coated three strand nylon. Rode goes in a mesh bag... easy transport / stow / deploy. Stowed in stbd settee locker, aft end.

Stern / secondary: 13# Super Hooker (Danforth S920 knock off, made by same company), 20' 1/4" HT chain, 300' 3/8" double braid nylon. Stowed in bracket on aft rail, with rode in a Sunbrella / mesh bag I made.

Serious Stuff: 22" Lewmar claw, 30# 1/4" HT chain, 300' 1/2" three strand nylon. Stowed in stbd settee locker, forward end.

When conditions merit (usually not aboard): Danforth 20H. I may replace the Super Hooker with it on home grounds. On the coast I used it instead of the 16.5" Manta as my primary, with 30' chain and 200' or 1/2" three strand, all stowed on pulpit

Lunch Hook (usually not aboard): Viking #20, which is like a small Fortress alloy anchor. Probably weighs 5-7", holds well in firm sand or mud bottom. For light lunch hook if I'm loaded for bear with the other hooks on the coast, I carry with 6' of chain and 120' of 3/8" nylon, all in a Sunbrella / mesh bag I made. Small/light enough for a dinghy anchor, too.

Really want to add a bow roller, and perhaps one on the stern, but this works for now.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

did the search and this has teh great info to add t othis thred..

viewtopic.php?t=551&highlight=solar