When to use bottom paint

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jim_dorton01

When to use bottom paint

Post by jim_dorton01 »

I like many people who have posted am a new owner of a Chrysler 22. My boat has paint below the water line that appears to be chipping and needs a fresh coat. What type should I buy. I think I have decided to dock it at a marina so it will be in a fresh water location. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks
WayneL

Post by WayneL »

Ok, I'm not a freshwater sailor, but all sailors have opinions. Your local marine store should be able to tell you what to use. You may not need any of the same bottom paints we have to use in salt, where marine growth can happen seemingly overnight. However, we're at the boat all the time, so it's not big deal to jump in the water, take a piece of Scotchbrite and wipe down the waterline. Marine growth starts at the waterline and progresses down toward the keel. If you clean it off regularly, it isn't so bad. Not nearly as bad as using the nasty stuff which is bottom paint. YMMV.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ahhh to live in a place where jumping in the water to clean the boat doesn't require a thick wetsuit or drysuit. :D

I used West Marine's Bottom Pro and that stuff was lame. Growth happened quite fast. Now I'm going to pull the boat out and put on some Petit Trinidad SR. This stuff, I am told, will definately do the trick it has two different biocides to keep stuff from growing.

The right bottom paint can definately make keeping your boat in the water easier. My dad recently got a boat which had been sitting unattended in the water for over a year, but because it had good high quality bottom paint on it, it had virtually no growth on it.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks