lifting a C26 off a trailer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NoRush

lifting a C26 off a trailer

Post by NoRush »

I have a 1980 C26. The trailer is poorly designed, anyway the bunks have spread and the two rollers on the bow have bent causing the centerboard to touch the support rails of the trailer.

I have bought heavy duty rollers and have a plan to reinforce the bunks, but I would like suggestions as to how to lift the boat approx. 6 inches to do the work.

Thanks

Jason
mjt

Post by mjt »

My advice would be to weld together some steel angle, probably 3"x3"x1/4" into A-frames. You would need 4 a-frames total and would locate 2 of them near the stern and 2 of them closer to the bow - directly opposite each other. For my C-22 I used 10' lengths of angle, but you'd probably need to use longer lengths for a C-26.

I used a couple of 6"x6"x10' pressure treated timbers as beams to tie the a-frames together and serve as a point for attaching straps.

If you've seen any of the websites that show how to remove the keel on a C-22, you basically want to end up with A-frames like you see in the photos on those websites.

For straps, you can go to Home Depot and buy nylon straps similar to the straps used to secure loads onto semi-trailers - these straps have a 10,000 pound rating - so they should be strong enough to handle a C-26. These straps also have a ratchet and hooks attached.

I then bought 4 come-a-longs (winches) that were each rated for 4-tons.

I hooked one of the come-a-longs to the 6x6x10 beam near each of the frames and then ran the straps under the boat and secured each end to one of the come-a-longs.

It is then just a matter of winching the boat up off the trailer.

You'll want to have the boat high enough to remove the trailer and you'll also want to have something under the boat that can protect you from being crushed if something should fail.

Of course, boatyards have hoists and the like, but I'm not sure how much it costs to have your boat lifted off the trailer and there's always the question of how much time you have to get the repairs done.

I built my A-frames and bought all the winches, straps and other fasteners for about $350.

Hope this helps.

Mike