Dismasted.... need help.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
squint

Dismasted.... need help.

Post by squint »

Hey folks,

Bought a C22 ... part of the deal was for the seller to launch, rig and tune the boat. He was sailing the boat to my girlfriend's cottage on wednesday, where I was to take delivery. Got a call from him after waiting a couple hours... he had dismasted the boat. "Come and get it," he said, "I hope you have insurance." He has been paid in full.

The marine surveyor has documented the rigging, and was wondering if I could get a picture of a mast step for a C22. Mine had been fabricated by the seller.

Could someone take a few digital pictures of the mast step on their boat and send me a copy?
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ouch! How'd that happen anyway, was it REALLY REALLY windy? So far as the set up goes, check out the chrysler sailing association page, it's got manual and everything, as well as quite a few pictures. Here's the link
http://www.chryslersailing.lizards.net/

Good luck to you!
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
squint

thanks!

Post by squint »

Found a good picture there... I appreciate it.

It was a windy day... But according to the marine surveyor who assessed the damage, this could have happened on a moderately windy day. The homemade mast step was very poorly setup, a through-bolt was used as a hinge-pin, but it actually carried the weight of the mast (but not for long).

Right now I'm in the assessment stage... just trying to figure out the logistics. The guy I bought the boat from just left the boat as-is, tied to the dock. It's currently sitting on someone else's trailer, and I told them they'd have it back in a week. So... now I neet to build a cradle.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Very sorry to hear...if I understood, you said the deal was he was to make delivery (of a working sailboat) ? If so, he did not complete the deal...its not as though you picked the boat up, and then it was dismasted..It was under his control and you had not yet taken possession of it, and the item you laid money down for was not what he provided....call a local lawyer, possibly you can get a free assessment of your rights/chances..I know he already has the cash, but I'd ask anyway...at any rate, take photos, do lots of paper trail, etc....

Best of Luck

Beau
squint

back afloat!

Post by squint »

Hey folks

Boat is back in the water. Had the mast welded (not cheap) and had a local marina go through all the rigging. New mast step was made. The boat sails like a dream and is VERY quick with it's "bastard" rigging. I'll probably chop a couple feet off the mast in the fall (it's 32' ?!?) before I nab some sails on ebay over the winter.
squint

futhermore...

Post by squint »

I'm pursuing the seller in small claims court... I'll keep everyone posted on the procedings.