Electric bilge pump

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
renfam

Electric bilge pump

Post by renfam »

Does anyone have an electric bilge pump on their Chrysler? My C22 came with a hand pump but installing an electric pump would seem logical. If anyone has one please advise on a location for the pump and the drain. Is this really necessary? :?:
cresendouser

Post by cresendouser »

Do you have a leak? We have a leak on our boat and were also thinking about adding a bilge pump if our attempts a caulking are unsuccessful. My thoughts were to get the pump in the lowest space as possible. This might be the stern. There is also a little space inside the cabin where the keel pin mechanism is located. I don't know if it is big enough to put a pump in there. Also, I don't know how you get power, but if it is used frequently enough, it may run your battery down pretty quick. Please let me know how it goes.
renfam

Post by renfam »

No leaks at this point. I am attempting to ensure that if I have one I am not trying to sail home and pump out the boat manually at the same time. I also suspect that the stern is the best location but I am trying to get some input from folks that have some experience with this. Thanks.
squint

Post by squint »

I think cresendouser is on the right track... the lowest point seems to be around the keel pin. Don't know how you could fit a standard size pump there, but I will be working on a similar project. I was thinking of a standard bilge pump located elsewhere, with a smaller pump (windshield washer pump etc...) from down by the keel pin to get the couple inches of water. The bilge pump would work off a float switch, but I was thinking of running the secondary smaller pump with a standard toggle switch.
cresendouser

Post by cresendouser »

I guess a solar/wind power battery recharger would solve a bilge pump power use problem.

If anyone has done this please reply...

Thanks!