Alcohol Stove in Galley

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Zilbub

Alcohol Stove in Galley

Post by Zilbub »

I just bought a 1976 C-22. It is in storage at a sailing association but I brought home all the sails and other eqipment including the galley. Turns out that everything is there and all I have to do is clean it up. My question revolves around the alcohol stove though... Do you have to burn alcohol or can you use Coleman camping stove gas? If you have to burn alcohol, where can you get it?

Thanks!
NoRush

Alcohol Stove

Post by NoRush »

I use Denatured alcohol which you should be able to find at your local home improvement store.
Don K.

Post by Don K. »

I have a C26. I have had a number of boats larger and smaller and I never liked alcohol stoves. I pitched my stove out and use the area to store a nice single burner butaine stove that I mostly use in the cockpit. Who wants to cook down below in a small boat. It gets to hot below deck. I would invest in a stern rail grill/stove. Now your cooking.
Buscador

Post by Buscador »

We bought a used non-pressurized alcohol stove from ebay ( only heard horror stories of pressurized stoves). Coloured alcohol fuel works great showing blue flame but very expensive. Switched to de-natured alcohol available at any hardware store. No blue flame but 1/4 the price.

We also bought a marine BBQ and mounted it on a stern rail utility board. It has quick release nuts to allow storage inside while at slip and for shoreline cooking. System works fine.
Sam Feder

alchol stoves

Post by Sam Feder »

I am not a fan of alchol stoves neither open nor pressurized. Years ago, a friend and I were sailing a big (32 ft) double ender up on Georgian Bay. It had an alchol stove. The problem with them is that they burn clear and colorless. He spilled fuel on the cabin floor and into the bilges and did not find out about it until his leg started to burn. We got him out & into the water, as well as the darn stove. Then the fun started. Ended up having to put a wet blanket over the cabin floor and pumping the bilges to get it all out. Then because it was his dad's boat we dove into a rather cold bay to recover that darn stove. I have never used one since. Give me a nice propane pressure stove, that you can see the flame.
Sam Feder
dybis

Post by dybis »

In my previous boat I had propane stove and now I have pressurized alcohol. The propane is easier to light, it burns hotter and you can see the flame. Alcohol is more expensive (in Norway at least), more complicated lighting and does not burn so hot. But I chose alcohol from safety reasons. If you get a leak in the propane system, you will fill the hull because it is heavier than air. Installing a propane system properly requires venting that is difficult to install in a Chrysler. Alcohol fires are easy to fight (just add water), gas explosions on the other hand... I do prefer a well installed propane system instead of alcohol system, but at least in Norway there are strict regaulation about such installations, and can't see how it can be done.