Question for 26' owners

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jstplan

Question for 26' owners

Post by jstplan »

I'm redoing a '77 26' chrysler. While grinding off old layers of carpet adhesive I began to wonder what is under the space where the forward ice chest sits (v-berth). Its sounds hollow but with no access, I'm thinking with all the mess already made I might as well cut a locker opening there. Extra storage is always needed. Any help will be appreciated. Mike
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If you mean under the v-berth deck in front of the ice chest storage, yes, it is open under there all the way to the hull bottom....my 79 has a hatch cut there (about the center of the vberth plywood), and I've just used it for inspection, but it might be a nice place for storage, assuming you don't weight the boat too much that far forward...
dybis

Post by dybis »

Is this the case for the Chrysler 22 as well? It will make a nice place for some storage and for the echo sounder transducer. I thought this area was filled with some foam, to ensure floating in emergencies (crack in hull). In the C22, there is a hatch under the v-berth, in the middle of the berth for some storage, and it seems like foam in the buttom of this room. Maybe there is a difference between 22 and 26.. ?
jstplan

Post by jstplan »

Hi Dybis, you are probably right about the foam, the 22 is full of it. My 22 is covered with a foot of snow on it or I would be happy to look for you. We don't have foam floatation in the 26'er.
I'll be putting the 22'er up for sale in a few weeks. I am sure going to miss it, at times I think I have made a mistake moving up. Mike
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I wonder about the design on the C26 sometimes...let's see they put foam in the C22 for flotation.....and what do they put in the C26 ? Half a ton of concrete and lead in the bilge, and pretty of room in the bow for water to fill up...<LOL>.....

bl
jstplan

foam

Post by jstplan »

With the 26' you are supposed to keep that tall thin thing pointed up, that way no water gets in. Therefore no need for foam!

Besides, no foam leaves more space for beer. LOL