C22 Rudder Head-Tiller Assembly

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
ChuckF

C22 Rudder Head-Tiller Assembly

Post by ChuckF »

We have a C22 that had wheel steering that we removed. We are looking for the rudder head-tiller assembly for the C22. If can't be found, it would be very helpful to have some very good close up pictures (I have the drawing from the manual, but the machinists I've talked to have wanted a picture). Would very much like your input on resolving this.

Thanks
devindiedrich

Post by devindiedrich »

I have an old tiller head piece that I had replaced. The set screw that kept it from sliding on the tiller post seized and broke. Attempts to remove the screw just messed the head piece up more. I was able to have a friend make a new one for me. If you want, you can have my old head piece if your machinist wants something to copy. I also ended up having the collar that sits above the through hole in the cockpit remade as well. I may have the first attempt at making it. The piece of aluminum wasn't big enough so it isn't perfectly round but may still work. We never added that holes for the set screws either. You can have that too if you need one or want a rough copy of one.

Let me know.

Devin
skyking

Post by skyking »

Devon,
I'm in a similar situation with the tiller and head piece. If you still have the old head piece could you possible send a picture so that I may see it?

I would like to either buy or build one.

Thanks
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tiller head

Post by Andiron120 »

The rudder head on my 77 C-22 cracked down both sides when the rudder fell while trailering. The set screw was also stuck. That is a very common problem when using stainless and aluminum together. I had a friend weld the cracks on each side and did away with the set screw. If you use a SS set screw in aluminum you need to use an anti sieze compound to prevent that particular problem. I did find new, comercially available, rudder and tiller head assemblies online, but they are expensive. I think 269.00 was about the best price I saw. Just google rudder head, or tiller head and you will find several. For the rudder post collar I went down to a bearing supply house and bought two 1 1/2 inch stainless steel shaft collars to replace the aluminum ones that had siezed to the shaft and had to be cut off. Cost was about 13.00 each.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
skyking

Post by skyking »

thank you, I will look into that...