What Other Hobbies do you have?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Other Hobbies do you have?

Post by CaptainScott »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Scott I'll pitch in, although you and I have already discussed this via email.

Oddly similar to Scott on several fronts -

I play guitar, hobby only (these days), currently an old Takamine EN20 Jumbo Acoustic - my second one actually ( a really big sound !) , and a strat style Peavey. Have a collection of old electrics of dubious brands like Kay and Silvertone.

All my old RC planes are gone or are rafter queens now, except the J3 Cub. That is being recovered to be outfitted with floats for calm days on the lake. Might stow it in the clubhouse when done.

My telescope hasn't been outside the box in a few years, used to take moon pics with it, but let's be honest, after a while they all look the same.

Motorcycles, would love to ride motocross (125cc) again but my legs are far too old for that now and have been for the last 30 years !

And Scott, my counterpart for the Vette is my weakness for tweaking 1986 Mazda Rx-7's. Great acceleration and "hull speed" on those. Currently without one, the last one died.

And other than a certain discussion board and a club website, I try to leave the computers at work, but it never happens !
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Well I only have two RC airplanes still flyable, a Great Planes Super Skybolt and glider, but I have not done any serious flying in years, I love to tinker with my computers I have built,repaired and upgraded more than I can remember, I am still wanting to get a good telescope to step up my astronomy hobby, travel both by sea and land a hobby the wife enjoys, cooking both outdoors and indoors, soaking in all the science and technology I can, much of it over the internet, tinkering with my website, badly neglected as of late, the Miami Dolphins, Florida Gators and Boston Celtics, playing basketball whenever I get the chance.

Well I guess that is good enough for starters........
Gus

Post by Gus »

mmmm well as a photographer, I guess photography doesn't count :)

I'm into vintage video games (Atari 2600, arcades, etc)

I like to fish when I go to the beach, but I don't like fishing from the boat, weird, ain't it?

I like cooking, and I even do the dishes.

I'm a huge Simpsons fan, and I collect Simpsons memorabilia here and there.

I love movies. I like to buy DVDs for the extras.

I did try RC planes, didn't like it, and I'm not a car type of person (I know how to drive, and that's it)
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Gus,

You might drool over this:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... Catg=10030

I saw it in Sams Club last week.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Lots of RC stuff among these posts. Banshi, I had several of the older Great Planes Super Sportster bipes, loved them. Actually what I used to do was buy 2 kits of everything, build both, and sell one for enough to cover both.
Sadly it doesn't work with C26's....

Hey, Gus - as I recall at one point my kids had the following all hooked up to a TV at once. Original Atari (the pingpong and breakout one), Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Nintendo NES , Nintendo SNES, Nintendo 64, . What a maze of cables and switches we had ! I'd still play Pitfall all day if I could.
Gus

Post by Gus »

thepartydog wrote:Gus,

You might drool over this:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... Catg=10030

I saw it in Sams Club last week.

Darin
Oh wow, that's really cool, but a cheap arse like me, 1500 its too much. I made my own a couple of years back with 100 bucks in parts, some lumber, and an old computer! It worked great, sadly, when the ex wife gave me the old bootaro, I didn't had nowhere to store it, so I gutted it, and gave it a viking funeral, but I will build another arcade machine (eventually)
Gus

Post by Gus »

EmergencyExit wrote:Lots of RC stuff among these posts. Banshi, I had several of the older Great Planes Super Sportster bipes, loved them. Actually what I used to do was buy 2 kits of everything, build both, and sell one for enough to cover both.
Sadly it doesn't work with C26's....

Hey, Gus - as I recall at one point my kids had the following all hooked up to a TV at once. Original Atari (the pingpong and breakout one), Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Nintendo NES , Nintendo SNES, Nintendo 64, . What a maze of cables and switches we had ! I'd still play Pitfall all day if I could.
That's a lot of systems! I used to have a TV in my computer room and switch between Atari 2600, Atari 800, and Commodore 64... what a geek! :)

I really wanted to give it a try to RC planes, and I bought an electric cheapy one long time ago, lasted 1 flight: when I tried to make it land, the wing broke in half :( I do like to build balsa planes tho, and as a kid, I had models everywhere in my room.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Looks like we all kind of falling into the same things.

Growing up I raced dirtbikes in a series known as the GNCC. Did that for ALONG while, and actually held a national number 46 was the lowest, I went to college for a few years, then came back and got slower. Ended up with a 72. When I had kids I switched to running and triathlons, I have done those for along time. I mostly do the longer races, ironman and then multiday triathlons.

I was into RC cars for while, but kind of lost interest, now everything is sailing related. For me it seems more of a way of life or how I want to spend my older years.

Scuba is always fun, I am a cert rescue diver which does not mean much. I have taken a lot of coarse they teach police, such as evidence recovery body recovery ect. I really have little interest in using those..

Since I can remember I have always wanted to sail the world and explore it. Sailing seems to be the only way I would want to do it.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!
I am impressed with the similarities!
Nothing like that for me on the Corvette or Harley forums!

I did not expect the amount of RC influence here!
Yup, I've chatted with EE on the side and knew he was similar but I did not see the rest coming!

Very cool, looks like we all have a LOT to chat about here! LOL!

Scott
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

OK, thought I would chime in on this one.
I do see alot of similarities.
First I have been playing drums over 45 years. Professionally and for enjoyment. All kinds of genre, from R and B, to RnR, country and, Snare in a Bagpipe band. (running around town in a Kilt) :) Still playing now just no more late bars!!
One of the places I have played, you have probably been there. I did the grand opening at Disneyworld. Oct 1971.
Also have opened for BB King. I really like the blues. Stevie Ray, Allman Bros, Roomful of Blues, etc.
Also into the Sportscars. Currently have 1959 MGA.
Had the Porsches, Mercedes, 280 Z, midgets. Sold my 1971 Sportamatic with the old Triptronic clutch system on E-bay. That worked out very well!Sold all the rest, kept the MGA.
1 car and 1 boat is enough.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Gus, the one frustrating experience I had was with a small electric plane years ago. They were just too underpowered back then to carry the large batteries they needed. So they wound up being underbuilt to save weight, underpowered and overly stressed by a huge battery pack.

mga1951, I had a 74 MGB that I so loved, always wanted a TD or an A !

Ron, what "color" bike did you ride ? I was a Honda CR125 guy, so I was a "red" guy. Once rode a friend's KTM400 desert bike. OMG !! I dug a trench for a hundred yards, and couldn't keep the front wheel down.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I started racing Honda XR's back when they were heavy. I was very happy when the KLX came out, that was the first real 4stroke that could be raced seriously. I did alot of R&D work for a cycle shop out of California. Nothing like free parts!

I built a trainer RC plane. They tried to fly it myself It lasted close to 15 seconds before it broke it into a bunch of peices.

I finally figured out that in everything I did I like building things the most. My c-26 has been perfect because I have built/reworked everything so far.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Cool!

I've always enjoyed photography... in high school was shooting film in my other hobby, skiing, which I did as a pro for a while,, patrolling... few years back I started skydiving,, then was shooting tandem video, editing those, and now still make video's for fun.. thus my website which has been neglected due to a "Frontpage" software issue.. Plan to eventually make a nice DVD of sailing to watch on these long winter eve's.

Done a gammit of stuff over the years, mountaineering, climbing, still have the horses to play with too...

Telescopes! Haven't had one for a while, but made my own 6" reflecting one, ground the mirror etc back when I was a kid in Tucson....

Oh an Scott, looks like we have a critter sitter for the end of February, so we plan to come visit the Seattle area! Not planned the details yet but will let you know... any B&B's nearby, on an island maybe you can reccomend??

Billy
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Scott,
PM sent,, check your inbox
:D
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Hobbies, What would you sailers think of being able to run your boat with a Joy-Stick (out-bord & stearing) Would be a big help four solow sailers
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Yes alot of similarities on here I retired my RC planes when I got married they sat for about 10 years and I got them out and used them with my older 2 sons and 1 took an interest so what I had left after crashes
(result of being rusty and old radio's) I gave to my oldest son. 2 Sig Kadets scratch built H ray scale PT 17 and scale P-51. Other than that photography all through my life and collector and muscle cars which I had to give up on for money. I used to run stock cars on dirt oval and drag. Seems kinda normal as I was a mechanic for 32 years and ownrd my own shop for 15. I also have interest in woodworking and have built 5 boats both power and sail and some fiberglass racing hulls. Now sailing and photography and cars are me. I was raised on the Hudson River all my life so that is where the boating takes top as far as hobbies. :D
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

With three boys all active in sports I don't have time for many hobbies. Before kids it was cars. I had a 1970 Corvette that was sold for the down payment on my first house. Now I have a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible. My wife and I have taken a few trips to BVI and bareboat chartered thru the Moorings.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Bhacurly wrote:Hey Scott,
PM sent,, check your inbox
:D

Got it and replied including my homeand cell number.
Read the long long message and let me know what you think!

Look forward to meeting you!

Scott
Gus

Post by Gus »

how could I forgotten astronomy? I was an avid astronomer in my teens, and not long I sold my 30 inch telescope because lack of use, too much weight to carry around.
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

I too am in the computer business, so I can't use that as a hobby.

In Spring and Summer I am big into Playing softball as well as coaching my little leaguers.

Fall and Winter I am bowling once a week (195 average) and I also play a mean game of volleyball.

I transfer my computer troubleshooting skills into anything I come across. So, I like repairing whatever I can get my hands on whether that be my truck, the kids bikes and toys, furniture, electronics (although now some are so cheap they aren't worth the time to fix), you name it and I will at least attempt to fix it myself.

I'm into videography and video editing and even had my own business at one point, but now just do it for fun or on a case by case pay basis for family and friends. Mostly I did wedding videos and photo montages.

I am also active in Scouting with two Cub Scouts. I am the Pack Committee Chair, so I pretty much run things. Right now we are making our pinewood derby cars, my favorite time of the year!

I love RC anything, but never had a plane or did anything competitive. When I was a kid I made a battery powered off road truck from a kit. That thing was built incredibly tough and lasted quite a while. I think I still have the car up in my attic, but I gave the servos and controller to my brother. He was going to use them for a glider.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

I am new to the board, and haven't really introduced myself. I recently aquired a C 22 and have not renamed her as of yet, but am considering ShoeString.
I started sailing when I found an old Hobbie Cat, which I still have, for next to nothing and it if followed me home and my wife, which I don't still have, let me keep it.

I am an active Scuba diver, and make several dives a week in all but the coldest weather. I tend to pick up lots of lost anchors, and sunglasses amongst other interesting things. I started diving in the late 70's got sidetracked for a good while and got back into it in the 03.

I rode motorcycles, wore out several, untill a mishap in the mid 80's landed me in a wheel chair for a couple of years.

I go canoeing or kayaking whenever I get a chance and find a river with water in it.

I have been flying RC airplanes for several years but do not have a plane in flying condition at the moment.

My other bad habits include photography, firearms collecting and shooting, scrap metal sculpture, Geocaching, and travel when I can find a way to swing it.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
Gus

Post by Gus »

Welcome aboard! What a nice looking 22 you have there! I love the colors, really traditional. This board its nothing but a good bunch of folks, you'll like it in here.
Welcome again!

Gus (in Iraq, man I miss my boat!) :)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard and you will find alot of us have had similar hobbies and all are a good bunch Not like powerboaters I am sure there are good ones but not like sailors. I especially like helping owners of Bass boats when they run out of fuel and need a tow if they ask nice I use the outboard if not they better pray for wind because I have towed more than one under sail. Have a great time.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome Andiron120, I like the green hull!
Looks sweet!

Intersting the very similar hobbies yet again!

Scott
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is an excellent list Richard!
Scott
klassi1

Post by klassi1 »

I've got a new one for the list...
I ride dressage (it's a horse sport). I don't compete anymore but continue to train. My dog and I are a therapy team. We visit retirement homes and schools. I enjoy hiking/backpacking and go whitewater rafting any chance I get.

No RC or motorcycles for me. You can add me to the photography crew. I tell everybody it's the beauty of the places I visit not the skill behind the camera that they admire. :)
klassi1
'77 C-22
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Too many hobbies, too little time. In addition to sailing, which I'm taking up after a two decade hiatus...

Bicycling. I have been a cyclist my entire adult life. I used to do some time trialing and racing up to 200 mile time trials. Now I just ride for pleasure, and commuting in fair weather. My wife and I have an E2 recumbent tandem that we ride a lot including 2 RAGBRAI's so far (I've done a total of 11).

Photography. My degree is in commercial photography even though I somehow landed in the IT field. I still dabble a bit, but have been slow to embrace digital for anything but snap shots.

Sports Cars. I used to restore and autocross Triumph sports cars, then moved to SVT Mustang Cobras and became an on track instructor at HPDE's. I have recently stopped doing that to make room for sailing, but the cars are still in my blood.

Shooting. I've been target shooting since I learned to shoot on the JROTC Rifle Team in high school. Now I mostly shoot pistols.

Brewing. I also brew my own beer and usually have 2 or 3 styles on tap. I do extract brewing because all grain seems more trouble than it's worth. Besides, I have too many other things to do! Cheers!
frankyd

I guess I'll chime in too.

Post by frankyd »

This is my first sailboat.
I have had many fishing boats and a few jetskis.
I enjoy fast cars and participate in track events. I have instructed for porsche club events and have owned 3 911s and a boxster. I currently drive a corvette c5 zo6 which is thoroughly track prepared. My last track car was a diasio d962 1000cc sports racer. I also use to have a homebuilt motorcycle powered track car. I love fast bikes and have had a few but I prefer the large patches of rubber cars offer.
I also scuba dive. I would like to get my pilots license eventually. I kayak frequently. I have done a bit of rock climbing also.